Applications are now closed
This calculus-based introductory level course consists of two consecutive 15-credit, 4-week modules, with a laboratory component. It is an intensive course that introduces fundamental concepts of physics in the areas of:
- Module 1 - dynamics and relativity, waves and sound, thermal dynamics
- Module 2 - geometrical & wave optics, electromagnetism and quantum phenomena.
We use a student-centered learning design and employ a flexible approach. The focus is on small tutor-led groups. You will be expected to complete pre-session readings and online assignments, and to participate in class discussions as well as contribute in group learning activities. There are regular tests and exercises which provide feedback.
Our aim is to give you a good basic understanding of the main physics topics and to introduce you to methods of experimental physics. As a result, the course will provide a good foundation of basic physics for aspiring physicists as well as being applicable to other areas of science and technology.
If you want to learn Level 1 physics well and are prepared to invest your time and effort, this is the course for you. We employ a ‘flipped classroom’ learning design, with a high staff-to-student ratio and high number of contact hours. You will be working in small groups, each with a dedicated tutor. Instructors and tutors are on hand to help and answer your questions.
- GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent)
- Competence in basic calculus as well as algebra, geometry and trigonometry is essential. Our maths skill test allows you to see if you meet the reach the level required. Please contact the international summer school coordinator for a copy.
If your first language is not English, you must meet our minimum proficiency level:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training) overall score of 6.0, with no sub test less than 5.5
- we also accept equivalent scores in other recognised qualifications such as ibTOEFL, CAE, CPE and more
- visit eligibility
This is a guide, for further information email rio-internationalsummerschools