Bioscience for global disease
Applications are now closed
This summer school is designed to help you to develop an understanding of recent advances in the field of bioscience and the impact of bioscience on global health. You will learn practical laboratory skills, data interpretation and analysis techniques in key biological research themes including cancer biology and stem cell research. You will also gain experience of other research skills, such as giving presentations and carrying out literature reviews. The course particularly complements the functional anatomy course available during block one – you may wish to consider taking them both.
Through lectures, tutorials, group work projects and practical laboratory work, you will develop an understanding of current research in Scottish bioscience, with an emphasis on:
- cancer biology – primary research, detection and emerging treatments
- infection biology – virology, parasitology and bacteriology
- stem cell research
- cardiovascular disease and fitness.
Bioscience for global disease can be combined with the four-week Functional Anatomy. To combine both apply for 'ISS - Functional Anatomy with Bioscience for global disease'.
Please contact email@example.com for further information.
Combine courses to extend your summer study
- Eligible students will have completed 2nd year of the Undergraduate Degree, majoring in a Biological Science (e.g. Molecular and Cell biology, Biochemistry, Immunology).
- It will be beneficial to have some background knowledge of each of the four topics covered (Oncology, Infectious Diseases [what are viruses, bacteria and parasites], Stem cells and Cardiovascular diseases).
- GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent)
If your first language is not English, you must meet our minimum proficiency level:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training) overall score of 6.0, with no sub test less than 5.5
- we also accept equivalent scores in other recognised qualifications such as ibTOEFL, CAE, CPE and more
- visit eligibility
This is a guide, for further information email rio-internationalsummerschools
The course aims to
- Promote a deeper understanding of the field of bioscience
- Provide training and practical experience in laboratory techniques
- Develop key skills such as literature review and presentation skills.