Songwriting workshop (On campus options available)
- Cost: £150
- Credits: 0
Is country music really just ‘three chords and the truth’? Can writing a song really be that mystically simple? What about other genres like punk, pop, rap, blues, or ballads? What kind of musical and lyrical structures do they combine to create a hit? What kind of process do you go through to create a song? Do you write the words first or the tune?
Join this hands-on creative course to learn the practical fundamentals of writing a song. Exploring different kinds of music, you'll learn to work with lyrics, pitch, melody, chord progressions and more to build your own song over the course of the term. Whether or not you’ve tried your hand at music composition in the past or just looking to improve on some basic musical knowledge, this course gives you the opportunity to get creative as you learn more about how a song works and is made.
Over a series of inspiring examples, approachable exercises and opportunities to share your work, our expert and experienced tutor will explain:
- The key musical and lyrical structures that lie behind different types of song
- Key techniques and tips that help you write and compose a song
- (optional) how to share what you’ve written and improve with mutual feedback
- More about how the business side of song writing and publishing works
You will also have the chance to discuss and reflect on what you learn with other students and the tutor in seminars. In fact, discussions of students' songwriting will lie at the centre of the course.
Choose this course if you want to learn:
- The key musical and lyrical structures that lie behind different kinds of songs
- writing tips that kickstart and refresh your own song writing practice
- how to share your work and improve with mutual feedback
- how to follow a regular writing and sharing routine
Who is this course for?
Anyone with basic musical skill that is able to understand the basic A-G letter notation for the diatonic scale.
- beginning to write songs
- or already a practising songwriter
Plus interested in:
- learning different techniques, tools and processes for writing songs
- learning more about
While delivered at SCQF 7 / Level 1, there are no qualifications or credits offered by this course, and no grades.
This is a course undertaken purely for the pleasure of learning at your own pace.
Mode of study
One instance of this 10-week course will be delivered online via 2-hour seminars led by a tutor over Zoom. The other will be held on campus. Details can be found under Available dates.
Course materials will be provided via a shared space
- Start or develop your journey as a musician and songwriter
- Can begin your study of music at university level
- Helps kickstart a regular song writing practice and routine
- can inform your personal musical tastes and introduce you to some inspiring songs
Find out more
The University holds open days throughout the year where you can meet with staff to discuss our short course provision. Find out more about University of Glasgow open days