Dr Angela Romano
- Lecturer in International Political Economy (Politics)
Angela Romano is a historian of 20th Century International Relations. Before joining the School of Social & Political Sciences, she was Senior Research Fellow at the European University Institute (EUI), where she co-ran the 5-year ERC-funded project PanEur1970s that she has also helped to conceive. She had prior been Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow (2013–2015), Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow at LSE International History Department (2011–2013), and Jean Monnet Fellow at the EUI (2009–2010). Angela has also a rich teaching experience at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels at Italian, US, Japanese, and UK universities; in January 2020 she has been invited Associate Professor at the University of Tokyo.
- International and transnational political and economic relations
- European integration and cooperation processes
- Regional organisations (including the EEC/EU, COMECON, NATO, the CSCE)
- Cold War
- External relations of the EEC/EU
Since 2004 Angela has published extensively on these subjects and has been invited to numerous conferences and seminars in Europe, Russia, the United States, and Japan. Although national governments remain relevant objects of her research, Angela's approach moves beyond the nation-state and considers supranational entities, multilateral organizations and fora, and business actors, and aims at analysing the interactions between these actors within wider world processes such as the Cold War, de-industrialisation, and globalisation.
Writing, Leadership, and Management of Group Research Projects
2015 – 2020 Project writer and project co-manager: Looking West: the European Socialist regimes facing pan-European cooperation and the European Community (PanEur1970s). Funded by ERC-Adv (grant agreement n. 669194; PI: Federico Romero) € 1.811.200
2011 – 2014 Co-writer and co-manager of the project: Socialist Visions and Policies on European Cooperation, with Prof Federico Romero (EUI). Funded by the EUI Research Council
2011 – 2013 Co-writer and co-manager of the project: Between détente and bipolar constraints: Italy, the PCI, and the Soviet bloc 1968-1981, with Prof Silvio Pons (Università Roma-Tor Vergata). Funded by Italy’s Ministry of Education, University, and Research, within the scheme Research Projects of National Interest (PRIN) € 58.781
2011 – 2013 Co-writer of the project and expert contributor on France: The roots of the European recognition of the PRC, 1949-1971: National and trans-national actors and strategies. Coordinated by Prof Carla Meneguzzi. Funded by the Università degli Studi di Padova.
Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship (€193.349,60) – European Union FP7/2007-2013, grant agreement n° 2010-273072 (Scientific Evaluation Report Score: 98.6/100) – Apr. 2011-Apr.2013
Jean Monnet Fellowship (€24.000), Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, EUI. Sept. 2009 – Aug. 2010
Post-doctoral research grant (€6.000), Dept. of History and Geography, Università degli Studi di Firenze, Research Projects of National Interest (PRIN) 2006-2008: ‘Europe, the superpowers and the rise and fall of detente, 1969-1981’. May – Oct. 2007
PhD stipendiary grant in International History (€34.200 + research travel allowance) – Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy. Jan. 2003–Dec. 2005
Research Grant (1.225 $), Gerald R. Ford Foundation Research Travel Grant Program, Ann Arbor, MI, USA. Nov. 2004.
I am interested in supervising projects in the following areas:
- International Political Economy (preference for qualitative analysis; distribution of power, wealth, and agency; highly interested in neo-Gramscian approach)
- Capitalism (theory of; current debate; evolution); Socialism (historical process; legacy of; socialist globalisation; current debate)
- Multilateralism; multilateral organizations (including relations between them); summitry (e.g., G7, G20); global governance
- Regionalism; and regional organizations across the world (and their interactions)
- European integration and cooperation processes and organizations, past and present (including the EEC/EU, COMECON, NATO, the CSCE/OSCE, UN ECE)
- Euro-Atlanticism; Euro-Asianism; Europeanization; conceptualisations of European space
- Cold War (Fields: politics, security, economy; Actors: governments, IOs, transnational, business and civil society)
- External relations of the EU (past and present; any field; any geographical area)
- Relationship between Business actors (e.g., companies, national and transnational associations) and policy-makers (national governments, supranational entities, IOs)
- Diplomacy; diplomats and other actors’ diplomatic activities
- Politics of the European Union (with Dr Myrto Tsakatika) POLITIC4020
- Regional Economic Integration and Organizations
Professional activities & recognition
- 2011 - 2013: Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship
- 2009 - 2010: Jean Monnet Fellowship, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2018: Fondazione Gramsci, Rome, Scientific Steering Committee
- 2019: Digital Encyclopedia of the Cold War
Selected international presentations
- 2019: The World System of Socialism: Global and Regional Aspects. Towards the 70th anniversary of COMECON formation (Institute of World History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow)
- 2019: European Historical Economics Society Conference 2019 (Paris School of Economics, Paris)
- 2018: Prosopography in International and Economic History (RCAS EUI, Florence)
- 2017: Mobility and Leisure Travel in the Cold War (Centre for European Research, University of Gothenburg)
- 2017: The Other Globalisers: How the Socialist and the Non-Aligned World Shaped the Rise of Post-War Economic Globalisation (University of Exeter)
- 2015: Helsinki 40 Years After: International Reordering and Societal Change, 1975–1990 (Université Sorbonne Paris Cité)
- 2015: 5e Congrès Asie et Pacifique 2015 (CNRS, Paris)
- 2014: The external relations of the EC/EU (1957–2010): research perspectives and archival sources (Historical Archives of the EU, Florence)
- 2013: Reframing Diplomacy: New Diplomatic History in the Benelux and Beyond (Leiden University)
- 2012: Economic entanglements in East-Central Europe and the COMECON’s Position in the Global Economy (1949–1991) (GWZO, University of Leipzig)
- 2009: Russia and EU: Past and Present. The 20th Anniversary of the 1989 Agreement between the USSR and European Community (The Institute of World History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow)
- 2009: WEHC 2009 – XV World Economic History Congress (Utrecht University)
- 2008: Overcoming the Iron Curtain: Visions of the End of the Cold War in Europe, 1945-89 (University of Paris III Sorbonne Nouvelle and University of Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne, Paris)
- 2008: 30 Years since the first CSCE Follow-Up Meeting (Zikic Stiftung and OSCE Serbia, Belgrade)
- 2007: European and Transatlantic Strategies in the Late Cold War Period to Overcome the East-West Division of Europe (University of Copenhagen, Saxo Institute)
- 2007: US–Soviet Relations in the Era of Détente, 1969–1976 (U.S. Department of State, Washington DC)
- 2007: Russia and the European Union: Past and Present (The Institute of World History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow)
Selected Keynote Speeches, Guest Lectures and Talks
11 Dec. 2019 Keynote Speech: ‘Asymmetry, Parallelism, and Convergence in Cold War Europe’.
Conference ‘L’Europe au XXe siècle – Une Europe asymétrique’, University of Luxembourg
6 Dec. 2019 ‘Looking West: the European Socialist regimes facing pan-European cooperation and the European Community’. Research Seminars in Contemporary History, Luiss School of Government and Dept. of Political Sciences of University of Roma Tre
8 Nov. 2017 Presentation of the ERC-funded project PanEur1970s. Rethinking European Integration (REI) Research Group, Centre for Modern European Studies (CEMES) at University of Copenhagen
7 Apr. 2017 Keynote Speech: ‘A Much Porous Curtain’. Conference ‘Crossing the Iron Curtain: Tourism and Travelling in the Cold War’ University of Amsterdam
13 Mar. 2017 ‘Circumventing the Cold War. The parallel diplomacy of economic and cultural exchanges between Western Europe and Socialist China in the 1950s’. Re-Thinking the Cold War: Distinguished Visiting Speaker Series – Cultures of the Cold War Network, University of Sheffield
16 Nov. 2016 ‘The Business/Government Synergy in Pre-Gaullist France’s China Policy’. LSE International History Research Seminar
31 Oct. 2016 ‘Circumventing the Cold War: The Parallel Diplomacy of Economic and Cultural Exchanges between Western Europe and Socialist China in the 1950s and 1960s’. Oxford International History of East Asia Seminar, University of Oxford
24 Oct. 2016 ‘The political economy of East-West relations in the 1970s and 1980s’. International History seminar series, School of International Relations, Ca’ Foscari Venice
4 Dec. 2014 ‘European Détente and national economic Interests: British Business, the Foreign Office, and UK’s Eastern Policy’. ESH Seminar Programme, University of Glasgow
20 Mar. 2013 ‘An actual international actor: The EEC and East-West relations’.European Integration History Seminar, University of Reading
2 May 2012 ‘Unofficial, yet intensive. The relations between the European Community and communist Europe in the 1970s’. European Integration History Seminar, University of Reading
9 Feb. 2012 ‘The European Community and Eastern Europe in the Long 1970s’. International History & Politics Seminar, European Studies Centre, St Antony’s College, University of Oxford.
19 Oct. 2011 ‘Unofficial, yet intensive: The relations between the European Community and communist Europe in the 1970s’. International History Research Seminar, LSE.
13 May 2011 ‘EC’s Ostpolitik: Origins and consolidation of the EC policy towards the Socialist bloc, 1969-1983’. International History Seminar, Historisches Institut, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
4 Feb. 2011 ‘Détente and Europe’. TSUDA College, EUSI Tokyo.
- The World System of Socialism: Global and Regional Aspects. Towards the 70th anniversary of COMECON formation. Institute of World History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 3–4 October 2019. Member of the Scientific committee with Mikhail Lipkin (Director of the Institute) and Suvi Kansikas (University of Helsinki).
- The impact of the 1968 invasion on socialist regimes' Westpolitik. Panel in British Association for Slavonic and East European Studies (BASEES) Annual Conference, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, UK, 13-15 April 2018.
- The consequences of the Chernobyl nuclear accident on relations between the EEC and Socialist Eastern European countries. Workshop, sponsored by ERC-funded PanEur1970s and Historical Archives of the European Union, EUI, Florence, 30 November 2016.
- Italy’s Eastern policy in the international context (1968–1981). Workshop co-organised with Silvio Pons. University of Rome-Tor Vergata, 10 June 2013.
- Socialist Visions and Policies on European Cooperation. International Conference co-organised with Federico Romero. EUI, 23–25 May 2013.
- Cooperation and Integration in Europe in the 1970s: Policies and Views from Central-Eastern Europe, Workshop co-organised with Federico Romero. EUI, 9–10 December 2011.
- ‘The EEC and CMEA: 1950s–1980s’. Panel H2 co-organised with Mikhail Lipkin and Kiran K. Patel. Conference WEHC 2009 – XV World Economic History Congress, Utrecht 3–7 Aug. 2009.
- A 50 anni dai Trattati di Roma (50 years since the Treaties of Rome). Workshop sponsored by Università degli Studi di Firenze and the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Italy. Florence, 27 Mar. 2007.
Open Lectures and Round Tables
1 Mar. 2019 Il futuro dell’Europa talk series: “European Sovereignty To Advance A Progressive Agenda”. Talk by Maria João Rodrigues (President of FEPS – Foundation for European Progressive Studies), comments by Prof Biagio de Giovanni, Prof Silvio Pons, Dr Angela Romano, Valdo Spini (President of Fondazione Circolo Fratelli Rosselli). Fondazione Gramsci, Rome.
9 Nov. 2018 Round Table: “The EU since 1992: Expectations and Results” – Prof Daniela Felisini, Dr Roberto Gualtieri (MEP), Dr Angela Romano, Prof Federico Romero, Prof Silvio Pons. Spazio Europa (managed by the European Parliament's Information Office in Italy and the European Commission Representation in Italy), Rome
19 Oct. 2018 ‘L’Unione Europea: genesi, istituzioni, organismi. Anatomia di una creatura polimorfica, imponente… e giovane’. Opening lecture for the 3rd edition of Scuola Popolare Antonio Gramsci Ghilarza (Sardinia, Italy); organised by Fondazione Casa Museo Antonio Gramsci di Ghilarza Onlus
22 Mar. 2016 “European Research Council. How to apply for a grant: The case of PanEur1970s”. University of Economics (VSE), Prague
29 Jan. 2011 ‘Italy in the EU’. Civil Open Lecture, TSUDA College, EUSI Tokyo
15 Apr. 2008 ‘The EU and the United States after 9/11’. Open lecture at Lorenzo de’ Medici School of Art, Language and Culture, Florence.
10 Dec. 2018 Interview (video recorded) with President Emeritus of European Council Herman van Rompuy, at Historical Archives of the European Union, Florence Oral History programme ‘Leaders Beyond The State’
23 May 2018 Blog post (co-authored with Emmanuel Mourlon-Druol): ‘The Iranian nuclear deal crisis: Lessons from the transatlantic dispute on the Siberian gas pipeline in 1982’ – Bruegel. bru.gl/2sYO6Mi
13 Aug. 2015 Blog post (with Martin D. Brown): ‘Forty years later, the signing of the Helsinki Final Act continues to have an impact on European security’ – EUROPP European Politics and Policy, LSE Blogs. http://bit.ly/1J5rH1Y
COMMISSIONS OF TRUST
- External evaluator for FWF Austrian Science Fund
- Blind reviewer for publisher Palgrave Macmillan
- Blind reviewer for publisher Bloomsbury Academic
- Blind reviewer for Contemporary European History
- Blind reviewer for Cambridge Review of International Affairs
- Blind reviewer for Cold War History
- Blind reviewer for Diplomacy & Statecraft
- Blind reviewer for Diplomatica: A Journal of Diplomacy and Society
- Blind reviewer for European Review of History
- Blind reviewer for The International History Review
- Blind reviewer for Revista Romana de Studii Baltice si Nordice/The Romanian Journal for Baltic and Nordic Studies