Dr Allison Orr
- Senior Lecturer (Urban Studies)
Dr Orr joined the Department of Urban Studies in June 2006 as a Senior Lecturer in Real Estate, following previous academic posts as a lecturer at Heriot-Watt University and the University of Aberdeen. Her research focuses on the commercial real estate market, housing and quantitative analysis, building on her PhD which modelled the determinants of regional industrial rents. Dr Orr is especially interested in the investment characteristics of direct property assets and the factors that shape the decision-making processes of investors, users and developers within the commercial and residential sectors of the market.
- Analysis and modelling of commercial user market;
- Sustainable development and the urban property market;
- Understanding the decision-making strategies made by direct property investors;
- Pricing of residential and commercial property and the interaction with market outcomes; and
- The impact of innovations and market practices in urban systems.
Current Research Grants
Real Estate, Place Adaptation and Innovation within an integrated Retailing system (REPAIR) with Cath Jackson, Joanna Stewart and James White; Economic and Social Research Council.
Recent Research Grants
Changing priorities in investor decison-making: The sustainaiblity agenda with Cath Jackson (Sheffield); Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Research Trust; 2017-2018.
The implicit pricing of property attributes with Neil Crosby (Reading) and Cath Jackson (Sheffield); Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Research Trust; 2014.
Review of social rent setting in Northern Ireland: Updating the 2007 review with Ken Gibb, Newhaven Research and Steve Wilcox (York); Northern Ireland Housing Executive; 2012.
Review of land assembly and land banking vehicles with David Adams; Scottish Government; 2008.
Scottish housing supply and affordability model with Chris Leishman, Ken Gibb, Newhaven Research, Geoff Meen (Reading),Yu Chenand Robert Wright (Strathclyde); Scottish Government; 2008.
Current Postgraduate Research Students
Interactions between Local Housing Allowance rates, and poverty and welfare traps in the UK
Risk awareness, impact and management in the Private Rented Sector.
Previous Postgraduate Research Students
Douglas Lindsay (PhD 2012)
Dr Orr would welcome applications from students interested in PhD research in her areas of interest in real estate and urban economics.
- Watson, Andrew
AS SAFE AS HOUSES? Risk Awareness, Impact and Management in the Private Rented Sector
- Real Estate Valuation and Appraisal (convenor)
- Advanced Real Estate Valuation and Appraisal (convenor)
- Strategic Real Estate Management (convenor)
- Real Estate Finance and Investment (convenor)