The report below is a working paper which records all the details of the second phase of our research up to the end of 2013. It covers an analysis of the national data on budget changes for local authorities in England and Scotland up to 2013/14. It also reports on the analysis of budget changes and savings for three case study authorities in England, including savings projected up to 2015/16. A shorter summary report is available from the JRF.
Download full report:
Coping with the cuts? Local government and poorer communities [PDF] (PDF)
- Chapter 1: Background and Introduction to the study
- Chapter 2: A Challenging Context: The National Picture
- Chapter 3: A Challenging Context: The Case Studies
- Chapter 4: Austerity in action: The Case studies
- Chapter 5: Austerity in Action: Serving Deprived Communities?
- Chapter 6: Reflections and key messages
- Annex A: Definitions of spending and technical aspects of funding system
- Annex B: Modelling spending changes in England
- Annex C: Tables 4.2 to 4.4
- Annex D: Information on sources and process of budget analysis
- Annex E: Background evidence on distribution of local public services