- MSc in History with an emphasis on History of Medicine (College of Social Sciences)
- MLitt in History with an emphasis on History of Medicine (College of Arts)
To gain the Master’s degree in History with Emphasis on History of Medicine, the student must fulfil the general requirements for the MLitt/M.Sc in History, while taking two medical history modules and completing a dissertation on a medical history theme.
Students aiming for the Master’s degree in History who do not wish the specific emphasis on history of medicine are welcome to take one or both medical history options.
We also welcome applications from suitably qualified candidates to study for PhD or MD degrees. You can find details of how to apply for a research degree.
The following bodies offer master’s or doctoral studentships on a competitive basis. We are happy to support applications to these bodies from suitably qualified candidates.
- Wellcome Trust - studentships for Masters courses and doctoral awards
- ESRC studentships
- AHRC studentships - College of Arts funding pages
- University studentships - College of Social Sciences website
- Lord Kelvin/Adam Smith studentships
Other funding options may be available in the University of Glasgow Scholarships and Funding Database
Research Awards for Health Professionals
We also welcome the opportunity to support applications for the Wellcome Trust research awards for health professionals. This scheme offers practicing health professionals the opportunity to carry out research in the history of medicine, usually by means of a short secondment to a history of medicine centre.
If you are interested in applying for postgraduate studies in the history of medicine, or have any questions about funding, please contact the Centre Director, Professor Malcolm Nicolson.