The CRCEES Placement Scheme
The CRCEES Placement Scheme
PLEASE NOTE: CRCEES IS UNABLE TO PROVIDE FUNDING FOR PLACEMENTS DUE TO OUR FUNDING COMING TO AN END ON THE 30th JUNE 2016
CRCEES offer two types of internship or placement. These are:
- Placements with non-academic partners where the student sets up an internship opportunity with a placement host and applies to CRCEES for funding
- Placements or internships arranged by CRCEES in conjunction with another organisation
While we offer specific placement opportunities, CRCEES also invites postgraduate students, researchers and academics in the humanities and modern languages to submit proposals to work with a placement partner of their choosing. The placement proposals should be designed both to generate genuine benefits for research and promote the dissemination of knowledge emerging from that research. This includes addressing need in key areas of policy concern including health and wellbeing, migration, energy and the environment, social mobility, and defence, intelligence and international diplomacy.
The aims and objectives of the CRCEES Placement Scheme are to:
- Give postgraduate students, researchers and academics in the humanities and modern languages the opportunity to shape their work in relation to the strategic priorities of non-academic users
- Help host organisations to build capacity in areas of strategic need through the application of specialist humanities and/or language-based research skills and expertise
- Aid professional and career development by facilitating the acquisition of transferable skills
- Increase opportunities for dissemination of research through user engagement and of the various skills and techniques required to make this effective and mutually beneficial
- Increase opportunities for the exchange of skills and perspectives and the sharing of resources between academic and non-academic environments
- Demonstrate the strategic importance and policy relevance of deep knowledge in the humanities and modern languages
Placements usually last between 1 and 3 months. However, CRCEES will consider requests from applicants who wish to engage in shorter placements or who wish to undertake the placement on a part-time basis.
All postgraduate taught and research students enrolled at a UK CRCEES partner university are eligible to apply. The CRCEES partner universities are Aberdeen, Durham, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Nottingham, St. Andrews and Strathclyde. The CRCEES placement scheme is also open to academics and researchers employed or registered at one of our UK partner universities.
Successful postgraduate candidates may receive a placement stipend and/or a contribution to travel expenses (please see the CRCEES Placement Scheme Guidelines and CRCEES Placement Application Form for further information). CRCEES academics may undertake a placement, but will only be reimbursed for travel expenses.