Mr Dougal Campbell
- Lecturer (French) (French)
R304 Level 3, French Section SMLC, Hetherington Building, Glasgow G12 8RS
M.A.Hons. (Edinburgh), PGCE (Moray House), Dip.Ed.(Edinburgh), DAES (York), Dip.Trans. (Inst.Lings), Diplôme supérieur, français des affaires (CCIP), M.Phil.(Glasgow)
Stylistics, translation practice rather than theory, subtitling, register. Various conference papers on headline language, subtitling, film titles, the imperfect subjunctive and tutoiement.
March 19th 2011: organised first Glasgow subtitling workshop. Open to public, staff and students. Papers on subtitling from Ian Burley, Sonali Joshi, Dimitris Eleftheriotis, and from me on translating tutoiement/vouvoiement in subtitles.
This will become an annual event. Currently preparing to teach on MSc in Translation Studies at Glasgow from September 2012.
- Convener, French Level 2
- Level 1A
- Level 2
- Junior and Senior Honours Language/Translation
- Honours Stylistics, Honours grammar
- French and Hispanic Erasmus Translation Class
- Sociolinguistics Honours Option
- MPhil supervision (research on subtitling and register)
- Year Abroad Convener
- Contributor to various Harrap and Chambers-Harrap dictionaries from 1998 until the Edinburgh office closed in 2009, including second edition of 'Pardon my French' and the final bilingual Shorter.
- Monthly language-related column on Harrap site from May 1999 until the Edinburgh office and the website closed in 2009.
- Chapter on use of Web in Contemporary French Cultural Studies ed. Kidd and Reynolds.
- Co-wrote Berets and Beaujolais: forty French stereotypes explained with Harrap colleagues, 2003.
- Various reviews, AFLS and elsewhere.
- March 2011: SRC award from students as part of 'Prizes for Excellent Teachers' scheme; Best Feedback.
- March 2012: SRC Student Teaching Awards 2011-12; Best Teacher in Arts.