Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Application & Offer

Can I have a joint Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) for my academic course which includes the Pre-sessional course?

Joint CAS’s are only available to the following students:

  • students who already have an unconditional offer for their academic courses
  • students who have an academic offer on which...
    • the only condition is IELTS equivalent 6.5 with 6.0 in all skills
    • AND who are beginning the 10 week pre-sessional course with IELTS equivalent 6.0 with 6.0 in writing, and where only one skill of listening, reading and speaking at 5.5.

What happens if I don’t have an IELTS score?

To apply for a visa for our Pre-sessional English Course, you must provide us with a Secure English Test. For a full list of UKVI approved English Language Tests please visit

I have studied in the UK before, does this affect my application?

If you have studied in the UK before and you need a visa to travel to the UK then we must prove to UKVI that the Pre-sessional course represents academic progression from your previous course. You will need to provide the following documents:

  • a copy of your previous visa
  • a copy of your previous CAS (or offer letter if you did not have a CAS)
  • a copy of your latest course report

I don't have an academic offer yet for the University of Glasgow, can I apply for a Pre-sessional English Course without an academic offer?

Yes. We are happy to accept you onto our Pre-sesisonal English course without an academic offer letter on the assumption that you require the standard overall 6.5 exit requirement. If you anticipate that your entry requirement will be different, please let us know.





How and when can I pay my fees?

You can pay via credit or debit card using the University’s on-line MyCampus system. You will be given a username and account number for the MyCampus system three weeks before the course start date. (You also use this information to activate your University student IT account so that you can use the network computers and student email.)

I am a self funding student, how can I pay my fees?
There are many payment methods you use to pay such as an online bank transfer, a bankers draft, by credit or debit card. Please visit the link for further information

I am a sponsored student, how can I pay my fees?
If you are a sponsored student, you must provide a letter of financial support for the full duration of your course, if you are unable to provide a full sponsorship letter for the full period of study, you will then be responsible for paying the remaining course fees. Please see link below for further information:

I don’t have a credit or debit card. How can I pay?

Credit/debit card is the quickest and easiest way to pay. However, if you cannot pay by credit or debit card, you can pay by cheque or bankdraft:

1. Please make your cheque or bank draft payable to "University of Glasgow".

2. On the back of the cheque/bankdraft write:

    • your full name and University of Glasgow student number (GUID)
    • "Pre-sessional Tuition Fees"

3. Complete a payment form available at

You must include the payment form with your cheque or bankdraft.

Send your cheque or bankdraft AND your payment form to:

Accounts Receivable
Finance Office
Level 3, Gilbert Scott Building
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ

NOTE: Post dated cheques are not accepted.

A fee of £20 will be charged if any cheques are returned unpaid. This fee will be automatically added to the balance of any fees owed. The University accepts no liability for payments which are lost in transit or in the post.


I would like to withdraw from my Pre-sessional Course or complete the course early, can I have a refund?

For our longer Pre-sessional Courses e.g 36, 31 and 27 weeks a partial refund may be given depending on your withdrawal date and the number of weeks you have already studied for.

For our shorter courses e.g 22, 18, 14, 10 and 5 weeks, no refund will given.

Some refunds may be given in exceptional circumstances however this will be at the discretion of the Head of Registry and the Head of School.

You can find more information about the University's refund policy at

The Course

How many students pass the course?

Results change slightly every year depending on many factors, but a very high percentage of our student achieve the scores they need to progress onto their intended studies at the University. Student whose scores are slightly below their requirement are often considered as marginal cases by their academic department and admitted to their courses. However, we strongly recommend that if this happens, you take additional English classes; see our In-sessional support web pages:

What happens if I don’t achieve my score at the end of the course?

See above. If you are not accepted to your programme at the University of Glasgow, the University's Admissions Office will contact the department on your behalf to enquire if your chosen department is willing to accept a lower score for you. Please note it is not guaranteed that the department will accept you with a lower score, this is at the discretion of your chosen department, not English for Academic Study. We recommend that all students who do not have unconditional offers, apply for and accept an unconditional offer from another institution. This will not be your first choice, but it gives you the security of knowing that you will enter a degree programme at the end of the Summer.

Do I need to take the IELTS Exam after I have completed the course?

If you are progressing to a University of Glasgow course and you have achieved your required scores then you are not required to take another English test. Our report with your required scores will be accepted by the University of Glasgow.

Is there an exam at the end of the course?

Your final scores will be based on your tutors’ assessment of your performance over the course and their judgment of your level by the end. There are tests towards the end of the course, but your final scores will not be based on these alone.

What happens if I can’t arrive by the course start date?

If you think that you will arrive late, then you must tell us as soon as possible! We will only give permission for late arrival under special circumstances. The course is designed to cover specific topics at specific times. Students who miss them find it hard to catch up. If we do accept you onto the course late, then it is at your own risk and you are responsible for making up the work you have missed. If you ask for permission to come late, it will not be more than three days. You must arrive by the middle of the first week.

Do I need any course books?

You will be given all the relevant course materials by your tutors. We also recommend certain books and other resources for self-study. There are copies of these kept in the Language Centre Resources Library. These will be listed in course handbooks, and other materials, and are also on our Studying English Independently webpage:

Will I learn about my academic subject?

The focus of the course is the English language and study skills you need for your academic studies. Depending on the course, you will study a range of subjects and there may be a chance for you to focus on a topic that is directly relevant to you. In Pre-sessional Summer C, you will be put into a subject-specific grouping, normally based on the academic programme you intend to take afterwards. Please see our website for details:

Will I meet my subject lecturers on this course?

In Block C, students normally have lectures from academic staff. Your future subject tutor may be one of the lecturers.

Arrival & Accommodation

How do I arrange accommodation?

You can apply for accommodation online using the link below. You need to apply for accommodation in session 2018/19 and the application type is ‘EAS’.

Full instructions on applying for accommodation and the online application form are available at the link below:

For any queries about accommodation, please contact our Residential Services team by e-mailing

Do you offer airport pick up?

We do not offer this service; however, local buses and taxis are available.

Please see link below for information about travel to the University:

What should I bring to Glasgow?

  • Electrical appliances/adapters

If you wish to bring electrical appliances/adapters (e.g. hair dryers, rice cookers, etc.) you need to make sure that they meet UK standards. The best way to do this is to buy the appliances/adapters when you arrive in the UK. In University accommodation, any appliances/adapters which do not meet UK standards will be removed from students’ rooms.

For cooking appliances, you may be best to coordinate with your flatmates so that you only buy what you need for your flat. Otherwise you may struggle to find space for everyone’s individual appliances. In University accommodation, cooking appliances must always be kept in the kitchen. Any cooking appliances founds in students’ bedrooms will be removed.

  • Clothing

The weather in the UK is very changeable, even in summer. Most students find that their accommodation is at least 20 minutes walk from the University. Make sure you have at least one pair of comfortable waterproof walking shoes or boots, and a waterproof jacket. There are plenty of shops in Glasgow where you can buy this clothing but remember that you may need it on the very first day you arrive here – it’s good to be prepared.