Mrs Margaret Sneddon
- Tutor (School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing)
- Honorary Senior Research Fellow (Nursing & Health Care)
Margaret Sneddon joined the University as a Research Fellow in Postgraduate Medical Education to develop multi-professional palliative care education. Margaret transferred to Nursing in 2001, where she led programmes on palliative care and lymphoedema, developing nationally and internationally recognised specialist education. She served as Head of the Nursing & Health Care School between August 2007 and July 2016.
Now formally retired, she continues to support the School and University as an Honorary Senior Research Fellow in various ways. Margaret leads the postgraduate course on Advanced Communication Skills and teaches and assesses on the lymphoedema programmes. She is also a Problem Based Learning Facilitator for Undergraduate Medicine and teaches in the School of Life Sciences.
Clinically, Margaret continues to work as an Honorary Lymphoedema Specialist in NHS Forth Valley.
Her passion for raising awareness and improving treatment and services for people with lymphoedema is also reflected in her additional roles, including Chair of the British Lymphology Society and a Director and Education Lead for the International Lymphoedema Framework (ILF). Margaret received an ILF award in 2009 for her outstanding contribution to lymphoedema education and a Lifetime Achievement Award from the British Lymphology Society in 2016.
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- Measuring empathic, person-centred communication in sexual health practitioners in the West of Scotland: a study of the validity and reliability of the CARE Measure.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2013 - 2013
- Measuring empathic, person-centred communication in nurses: a study of the validity and reliability of the CARE measure in practice nurses in primary care.
2012 - 2013
- Centre for Lymphoedema education and research
Macmillan Cancer Support
2010 - 2015
- Reliability and validity of the figure-of-eight method of measuring hand size in patients with breast cancer related lymphoedema
CSP Charitable Trust
2009 - 2011
- British lymphology society audit project
British Lymphology Society
2007 - 2007
- Lymphoedema service mapping project (Scotland)
Macmillan Cancer Relief Scotland
2006 - 2008
- Support for Programme of Education
Macmillan Cancer Relief
2002 - 2005