Dr Kirsty McIntyre
- Lecturer (Undergraduate Medical School)
I am a lecturer in Medicine at the University of Glasgow. I completed my PhD in 2018 at the Maternal and Fetal Health Research Centre, University of Manchester. My work focussed on understanding how a poorly functioning placenta can lead to small and unwell babies (fetal growth restriction). I gained my postgraduate diploma in Academic Practice (Distinction) in 2021.
I was previously a research and teaching assistant at Murdoch University in Perth, Australia following completion of my BSc studies in Biomedical science at Edinburgh Napier University in 2012, which included a semester of study at The University of Vermont, USA.
Social responsibility and public engagement
I am committed to the promotion of science in a way that is accessible to the public and am actively involved in public engagement projects which aim to reach diverse and under-served audiences.
I lead an online induction pre-entry course to support incoming first year medical students. Originally developed in 2019, my scholarly research has investigated the utility of the course which has driven iterative changes, collaborations with students and the wider adoption of the course across the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences.
My current research interests are:
- Patient involvement in medical research and practice
- Supporting student transition into higher education
- Peer assessment of individual contribution to group work
- Reproductive Biology
- Placental physiology
I am Deputy Lead for Year 1 undergraduate medicine (MBChB) and course lead for the intercalated BSc (Med Sci) Women's and Children's Health programme.
Additionally, I supervise Year 2 MBChB Student-Selected Component (SSC) projects.
Currently held teaching roles:
- Deputy Director of Year 1 MBChB
- Course Coordinator: Intercalated BSc (Med Sci) Clinical Medicine - Women's and Children's Health
- Course Lead: Becoming A Medical Student online pre-entry induction course
- Course Coodinator: Phase 1 of MBChB curriculum
- Coursework Coordinator: Year 1 MBChB
- College of MVLS Technology-Enhanced Learning and Teaching (TELT) Committee
- MBChB Assessment Committee
- MBChB Learning and Teaching Committee
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2021: Teaching Excellence Award (Early Career) (University of Glasgow, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences)
- 2019: Outstanding local engagement in public and community engagement initiatives (Making A Difference Awards, University of Manchester.)
- 2018: Outreach and Engagement Award - New Researcher (Royal Society of Biology)
- 2018: Outstanding Contribution to Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement (PPIE) (University of Manchester)
- 2018: Highly Commended, Outstanding Student Representative (University of Manchester Doctoral Academy)
- 2018: Commended, Making A Difference Awards, for the ‘Before You Were Born’ public engagement event (University of Manchester)
- 2017: Best Research Film: 'A Day In My Life As A Placenta Scientist' (University of Manchester, Postgraduate Summer Research Showcase)
- 2017: Outstanding Contribution to Society (University of Manchester Doctoral Academy)
- 2016: 3 Minute Thesis winner (University of Manchester)
- 2015: Highly Commended, Making A Difference Award (University of Manchester)
Professional & learned societies
- 2022: Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- 2020: Member, Early Career Lecturers in Biosciences
- 2016: Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- 2015: Member, The Physiological Society
- 2016 - 2018: Early Career Researchers Representative, International Federation of Placenta Associations (IFPA)