Professor Xiaoyu Luo
- Professor of Applied Mathematics (Mathematics)
R507 Level 5
Glasgow G12 8QW
My research interests are focused on modelling and numerical simulation of fluids and structures, especially fluid-structure interaction in physiology. In particular self-excited oscillations in flexible vessels, multi-scale modelling of heart, dynamic and constitutive modelling of mitral valves, vocal folds vibration and snoring, bile flow and gallbladder pain mechanisms.
- Continuum Mechanics - Fluid Dynamics and Magnetohydrodynamics
- Continuum Mechanics - Modelling and Analysis of Material Systems
- Mathematical Biology
Selected publications | View all publications
Wang, H.M., Luo, X.Y. , Gao, H. , Ogden, R.W. , Griffith, B.E., Berry, C. and Wang, T.J. (2014) A modified Holzapfel-Ogden law for a residually stressed finite strain model of the human left ventricle in diastole. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 13(1), pp. 99-113. (doi:10.1007/s10237-013-0488-x) (PMID:23609894) (PMCID:PMC3880672)
Griffith, B.E., Luo, X.Y. , McQueen, D.M. and Peskin, C.S. (2009) Simulating the fluid dynamics of natural and prosthetic heart valves using the immersed boundary method. International Journal of Applied Mechanics, 1(1), pp. 137-177. (doi:10.1142/S1758825109000113)
Zhu, Y., Luo, X.Y. and Ogden, R.W. (2008) Asymmetric bifurcations of thick-walled circular cylindrical elastic tubes under axial loading and external pressure. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 45(11-12), pp. 3410-3429. (doi:10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2008.02.005)
Luo, X.Y. , Cai, Z.X., Li, W.G. and Pedley, T.J. (2008) The cascade structure of linear instability in collapsible channel flows. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 600, pp. 45-76. (doi:10.1017/S0022112008000293)
All publications | View selected publications
- (PI) EPSRC IAA project "Mathematical modelling of cardiac amyloidosis and related interstitial cardiac pathologies ", co funded by GSK, £25,146, 2017 (with Gao, Husmeier, Hill, Berry)
- (CI) PhD student project co-funded by GSK and GU: "Statistical and mathematical modelling of cardiac amyloidosis and related interstitial cardiac pathologies", £75,480, 2017-2021 (with Husmeier, Berry)
- (CI) PhD student project co-funded by GSK and GU: "Quantitative analysis of longitudinal changes in myocardial perfusion using cardiac MRI", £89,057 2017-2021 (with Radjenovic, Berry, Gao)
- (CI) GSK funded project "Investigation of post-myocardial infarction injury based on novel mathematical models and clinical cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) methodologies", £468,095, 2017-2020 (with Berry, Radjenovic, Husmeier, Hill)
- (PI) EPSRC IAA project "Tracking biomarkers of heart attacks using a fast statistical emulator based on heart modelling and in vivo MRI", £46,379, 2016-2017 (with Husmeier, Gao, Berry)
- (CI) EPSRC funding "EPSRC Centre for Multiscale Soft Tissue Mechanics - with application to heart & cancer", £2M , 2016-2020 (EP/N014642/1) (with Ogden, Hill, Husmeier, Simitev, Stewart, Berry, Olson, Yin, Smith, Insall, Chaplain, McDougall, Watton, Gao)
- (PI) The Leverhulme Research Fellowship, "The first fully coupled mitral valve - left ventricle computational model", £50,000 , 2015-2017 (RF-2015-510)
- (PI) The POEMS network funding "THE INITIATIVE FOR DIALOGUES BETWEEN CLINICIANS & MODELLERS", £17,500 , 2015-2017 (with Maini, Chen, Diaz, Vanniasinkam, Dunlop, Bracciali, Boileau, Lio, Tanaka, Tsaneva-Atanasova, Ovenden)
- (CI) BHF Project Grant "Myocardial strain measurements in survivors of acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction: implementation and prognostic significance of novel magnetic resonance imaging methods" £118,075 , 2015-2017 (CRTF09-31639) (with C Berry, CE Haig and A Radjenovic)
- (CI) BHF Project Grant "First steps towards computed modelling of myocardial infarction (an MI Physiome): A case-control study of novel biomechanical parameters in acute MI survivors with left ventricular dysfunction" £104,456 , 2015-2017 (PG/14/64/31043) (with Colin Berry, Dirk Husmeier and Hao Gao)
- (PI) Glasgow Journal of Mathematics Trust, "CMALS Networking", £3000 , 2015-2017
- (PI) MBI Grant on "The 2nd Workshop on Soft Tissue Modelling", 5000 US dollars, 2015.
- (PI) Scottish Funding Council and Devro LTD on "Mechanical and Finite Element Modelling of Collagen Casing Manufacture and Application", £50, 000 , 2013-2014 (with Nicholas Hill)
- (CI) Hong Kong Research Grant Council on "Effect of vasomotion on efficient flow delivery in microvascular network", 500, 000 HK dollars, 2013-2016 (with Yang Liu)
- (PI) Glasgow Journal of Mathematics Trust, "Research collaboration with the University of Grenoble", £3000 , 2013-2015
- (PI) EPSRC Institutional Grant (EP/K503514/1) on "Initiating new transformative ideas to heart remodelling (Pump-Priming)", £20,173 , 2012-2013 (with Paul Watton).
- (PI) IAA-EPSRC and Devro LTD on "Work on the Predictive Modelling of Extruded Collagen Tube", £20,000 , 2013 (with Nicholas Hill)
- (PI) EPSRC KT Award and Devro LTD on "Feasibility study on the Predictive Modelling of Extruder Design and Behaviour upon Fibre Orientation in an extruder Collagen Tube ", £40,000 , 2011-2012 (with Radostin Semitev)
- (PI) Glasgow Journal of Mathematics Trust, "Glasgow Workshop of Soft Tissue Modelling", £3000 , 2012
- (PI) College Fund "Developing the GlasgowHeart Research Website", £1500 , 2012
- (PI) EPSRC grant on "Finite element-immersed boundary method and its application to mitral valves", £457,132 (Ref: EP/I029990/1), 2012-2015 (with Colin Berry)
- (PI) College and EMS Funds, Research collaboration with Dr. Boyce Griffith at NYU, £2340 , 2011
- (CI) College Fund, Developing an EPSRC grant on project of Aortic Dissections, £5000 , 2011 (with Nick Hill and Steve Roper).
- (PI) Royal Society UK-France Joint Project on "Physical modelling of vocal folds oscillations during normal and pathological speech" (RE: 2010/R2-JP), £12,000 , 2011-2013 (with Nick Hill, Radostin Semitev and Van Hirtum)
- (CI) MRS grant on "Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging: new pathological insights and functional significance in acute myocardial infarction", £150,000 , 2010-2013 (with Colin Berry)
- (PI) EPSRC grant on "Exploring the Mechanisms of Human Gallbladder", 328,710 (Ref: EP/G015651), 2009-2012 (with Ray Ogden, FRS)
- "Exchange Programme for Leading Research Groups", 5000,000 Yuan (~400k ) from Xian Jiaotong University,2009-2014,(with Ray Ogden, Nick Hill, and Tiejun Wang)
- The Royal Academy of Engineering travel funds, £500 , 2010
- The Edinburgh Mathematical Society small grant, £750 , 2009
- The Royal Society of Edinburgh Incoming Short Visit Fund of £2,700 for Dr. B.G. Griffith from the Courant, NYU, 2008.
- (CI) Alliance project from the British Council France on "Modelling and inversion of a complex production system of acoustical signals: application to speech and pathologies", £4800 , 2008-2010 (with Radostin Simitev and Van Hirtum)
- Global Research Award of £22,418 from the Royal Academy of Engineering, 2007
- (CI) EPSRC grant of "Maths for Engineers Summer School", £49,205 , 2007 (Grant no EP/E504876), with (Chris Pearce)
- (PI) British Heart Foundation Project Grant of £63,001 on "Towards a better understanding and design of mitral bioprosthesis" (Grant No. PG/06/029/20577), 2006-2009
- (PI) Royal Society UK-China Joint Project on "A new stability zone in internal physical flows" (RE: 2005/R4-JP), £12,000 , 2006-2008.
- University of Sheffield PhD Studentship Award, 2005-2009
- The Royal Society Incoming Short Visit Fund of £3,300 on "Snoring control" for Dr. Z.S Liu from the Institute of High Performance Computing at Singapore, 2005.
- (PI) EPSRC grant of £149,957 on "Tracking particle deposition in the turbulent human airway" (Ref. GR/S95633/01) 2005-2008. (with Franck Nicholleau)
- (PI) Royal Society UK-China Joint Project on "Heart valves: how do they react to blood flows?" (RE: Q861), £17,995 , 2002-2005.
- University of Sheffield PhD Studentship Award, 2001-2004.
- (PI) EPSRC grant of £133,272 on "Flow Limitation And Self-Excited Oscillations" (Ref. GR/M07243) 1999-2002. (with Tim Pedley, FRS)
- The Royal Academy of Engineering travel funds, 2003,2005
- The Royal Society China Fellowship of £14,620 on "Stress analysis of aortic valves" for Dr.J. Li from Xi'an Jiaotong University, 1999-2000.
- The Young Scientists Research Grants, £15,000 Yuan, Xi'an Jiaotong University, China, 1990-1992.
- Winner of THE ADVANCED SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PRIZE of Xi'an Jiaotong University, 1986.
- Winner of the Tang Zhao-Qian Scholarship of Xi'an Jiaotong University in 1990.
- Winner of the Distinguished Postgraduate Scholarship of Xi'an Jiaotong University in 1985.
- Runner up in The Xi'an Mathematics Competition in 1978, China.
Current Teaching Duties:
- Continuum Mechanics and Elasticity (level 4 Maths Honours and MSc) Syllabus (pdf) and Lecture Contents (pdf).
Courses taught in the past:
- MATHS5046: Nonlinear Elasticity (level 5 Maths Honours) Syllabus (pdf). Detailed information on the course can be found from: Moodle 2
- E1-Calculus (level 1 - Engineering) Syllabus (pdf).
- Mathematical Modelling II -Continuum Mechanics (level 4 Maths Honours) Syllabus (pdf)
- Mathematical Biology (level 3/4 Maths Honours - alternating years) Syllabus (pdf).
- 2X: Calculus 1, Section 2 (level 2)
- E4: Mathematics (Functional Analysis) (level 4) (Shared)
- E2N: Numerical Methods (level 3)
- MEC407: Fundamental Biomechanics (Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Sheffield)
- MEC416: Engineering Simulation (Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Sheffield)
- Using Fluent 5 for the first time (for MEC208) (Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Sheffield)
- Fluid Mechanics (2nd year) (Department of Engineering, QMW)
- Numerical simulations(2nd year) (Department of Engineering, QMW)
- Engineering Design (2nd year) (Department of Engineering, QMW)
- Numerical Methods in Compressible Flow (MSc) (Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Leeds)
- Mathematics (1st year) (Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Leeds)
- Mathematics (2nd year) (Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Leeds)
- Biomechanics (4th year) (Department of Engineering Mechanics, Xi'an Jiaotong Univeristy)
- Finite Element Methods (4th year) (Department of Engineering Mechanics, Xi'an Jiaotong Univeristy)
- Continuum Mechanics (Postgraduate) (Department of Engineering Mechanics, Xi'an Jiaotong Univeristy)
- Theoretical Mechanics (2nd year) (Department of Engineering Mechanics, Xi'an Jiaotong Univeristy)
- Strength of Materials (2nd year) (Department of Engineering Mechanics, Xi'an Jiaotong Univeristy)