Photography Competition 2020
UPDATE: DEADLINE EXTENDED
Following further deliberation and taking the effects of the current coronavirus crisis into consideration, we have taken the decision to extend the deadline for submissions for our photography competition.
Budding photographers now have until Friday 29th May to submit their images for consideration, with further information to be announced in due course.
The School of Life Sciences is delighted to launch an exciting new photography competition, the aim of which is to showcase and celebrate the talents of our students and staff and create a vibrant environment in which to study and work.
Winning entries will be framed and displayed on the walls of School corridors and offices and may also be used as part of our online presence.
Entry is open not only to current staff and students but also the wider Life Sciences community, including Honorary, Affiliate and Associate members of the School.
Entrants are invited to explore the following themes, in relation to Life Sciences and according to your own interpretation:
- Campus Life
- Architecture & Design
- The Natural World
- Whatever the Weather
Let your imagination run wild!
There is no limit on the number of the entries, but each submission must be accompanied by a title and a short description.
How to Enter
Please submit a high quality digital image (.jpg or .png) suitable for printing by email to Information and Media Officer Jonathan Mitchell.
Images should have a minimum resolution of 3072 x 2048 pixels and minimum file size of 2 MB (20 MB maximum file size).
The deadline for entries is Friday 29 May 2020.
Winning entries will be chosen by a panel of judges and announced after the Easter vacation.
The outright winner will receive an Amazon voucher to the value of £100.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting an entry to the competition you declare that you are eligible to participate, that the work you submit is your own, that you give permission for the University of Glasgow to use and disseminate your work without restriction and that you have read and accepted all the following Terms and Conditions in full.
1. The competition is open to current staff and students, including honoraries, affiliates and associates (except individuals involved in the administration or judging of the competition, their employees or families).
2. Images should be accompanied by a title and short description (maximum 100 words) explaining the context of the image and how it relates to the chosen category.
3. Entrants are permitted to submit multiple entries.4. The file name of submitted images should take the form: SoLS Imaging Competition 2020; category entered; name of entrant; school affiliation (eg staff, student, honorary etc.)
5. Simple digital enhancements (such as cropping, boosting contrast, colour or sharpening) are allowed. However, any image manipulation in a graphics package beyond this should be declared.
6. All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The entrants must be the sole owner of copyright in all photographs entered and must have obtained permission of any people featured in the entries or their parents/guardians if children under 16 are featured. Where an individual or a residential property, belonging to someone other than the photographer are featured, the photographer must seek permission and be prepared to provide written consent, if requested. Further, entrants must not have breached any laws when taking their photographs.
7. Entrants will retain copyright of their submitted photographs. By entering the competition all entrants grant to the University of Glasgow the right to publish and exhibit their photographs on any printed materials and internet-based distribution sites including, without limitations, the university website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and in any other media for an undetermined period of time. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses.
8. Entrants agree to participate in post-competition publicity. While we make every effort to credit photographers, including in printed reproductions of their work, we cannot guarantee that every use of the photographs will include the photographers' names.
9. Entries should be submitted digitally by high quality jpeg suitable for printing (this means in practice 3072 x 2048 pixels or more, enough for printing to A4 at 300 dots per inch), and minimum file size of 2 MB (20 MB maximum file size).
10. Images must not be stills taken from a video.
11. Entries must be submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 29 May 2020.
12. Entries received via any other means, or after the deadline, will be disregarded.
13. The competition will be judged by a panel of Life Sciences staff and decisions based on collective preference, relevance, impact.
14. The judges’ decision is final and binding. As such no correspondence will be entered into in this regard.
15. Entries must not contravene any confidentiality terms or agreements.
16. Collaborative submissions are allowed. You must name all individuals involved in producing the entry.
17. By entering this competition, you are deemed to accept these competition rules and the terms and conditions which will be governed by the laws of Scotland.
18. The University of Glasgow reserves the right to cancel this competition or amend the terms and conditions of the competition at any time.