Mr Stephen Scholes
- Lecturer in Education (School of Interdisciplinary Studies)
I joined the School of Interdisciplinary Studies as Lecturer in Education in November 2019 and I am currently Programme Leader for the MA(Hons) Primary Education degree.
Before joining the University of Glasgow, I held leadership and teaching posts in Scottish secondary schools. As a Depute Head Teacher and Principal Teacher, I led on raising attainment, data and performance information, and the Pupil Equity Fund. As a fully GTCS registered-teacher, I taught Religious and Philosophical Studies, History, and Social Studies at all levels.
I am currently undertaking a part-time PhD in Education, exploring curriculum development, religious education and inspeciton in Scotland since the 1960s.
M.Ed.(Distinction) Professional Practice with PGDE, University of Glasgow
M.A.(1st Class Hons) Medieval History, University of St Andrews
I am fascinated by the changes and continuities in education over time. Through my scholarship, I seek to bring historical, documentary and qualitative research to bear on contemporary policy and practice, particularly in the broad areas of school accountability and leadership, curriculum enactment and initial-teacher education.
My main areas of research are:
- History of Education (Scotland 1800 – Present; sources and methods)
- Curriculum Policy & Enactment (Religious Education; History; Teacher Leadership)
- School Inspection and Accountability (Education Policy; Data & Performance Information; School Leadership)
- The Educational Institute of Scotland - Action Research Grant: Performance Information, Data Literacy and Closing the Gap in Scottish Primary Schools. (£500.00, 2020-2021).
- A documentary study of contemporary school and teacher practices in relation to data/performance information in Scottish Primary schools.
- University of Glasgow - Researcher Development Programme PhD Internship Programme: Teachers' Professional Learning. (£1000.00, 2020-2021)
- Funding for an internship post to undertake stakeholder engagement and develop knowledge exchange opportunities in relation to teachers' professional learning.
I supervise dissertations at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Students who are interested in working in areas connected to my research and professional interests should get in touch via e-mail: Stephen.Scholes@glasgow.ac.uk.
Read more about postgraduate research in Education at the School of Interdisciplinary Studies here: Education Research Group
- Wang, Hui
Developing a comprehensive critical thinking test for China.
I have successfully supervised postgraduate studies on the following topics:
I teach across the Education degree programmes offered in the School of Interdisciplinary Studies. On the MA(Hons) Primary Education degree I convene the following courses:
- Professional Practice in Education 1 (Year 1)
- Professional Practice in Education 2 (Year 2)
- Professional Practice in Education 4 (Year 4)
- Curriculum and Assessment (Year 3)
- Honours Dissertation (Year 4)
On the PGDE Primary Education degree I convene the following course:
- Learning and Teaching in the Primary Curriculum (PGT)
In addition, I undertake school placement visits across both undergraduate and postgraduate initial-teacher education degree programmes.
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2015: Professor Stanley D. Nisbet Prize (School of Education, University of Glasgow)
- 2017: William Boyd Prize (School of Education, University of Glasgow)
- 2021 - Present: External Examiner - MA(Hons) Education (University of Dundee)
Professional & learned societies
- 2016: Full Registration (Secondary), General Teaching Council for Scotland
- 2020: Secretary, Scottish Catholic Historical Association
- 2022: Management Committee, Scottish Teachers Association of Religious and Moral Education
Academic & Professional Memberships
- Scottish Educational Research Association (Member / Teacher Education Network)
- British Educational Leadership, Management and Administration Society (Member)
- British Education Studies Association (Member)
- Student Placement Management Group (Member)
- Learning and Teaching Committee (Depute Convenor), School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Student Experience and Retention Committee (Member), School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Advisor of Studies, School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Milne, J., Shambrook, L., Mackeen, D., and Scholes, S. C. 2021. Action Research Grants. Scottish Educational Journal 105(2). Online: http://sej.org.uk/apr2021/
Ritchie, M., Stewart, M., Maciejuk, A-M., Naismith, S., O’Hagan, O., O’Donnell, C., Lang, C., Scholes, S. C., Kilcullen, L., Day, S., Terry, A., Wilson, K. and Tojerio, R. 2018. ‘Meeting Societal Challenges - The STEM Academy Model of Education promoting Co-Creation, Creativity and Collegiality. University of the West of Scotland: Bridging Boundaries – Connecting Learning, Teaching and Research Conference (27th June 2018).
- Scholes, S. C., 2017. ‘Using Data in a Scottish Secondary School: A Case Study of Analysing Tracking and Monitoring Data’, Scottish College of Educational Leadership – Teacher Leadership Summit (10th June, 2017).