Amy is a DFA (Doctor of Fine Arts) student with the Creative Writing Department. Her work is a collection of creative nonfiction essays exploring inequalities in death and dying faced by those experiencing homelessness.
Amy’s research and writing interests include a wide variety of essay styles including personal and memoir, narrative, experimental, short and long form, as well as narrative journalism. Current topics of research/writing include homelessness, death & dying, memory, identity, and home.
She is a member of the Glasgow End of Life Studies Group
University of Glasgow, Rutherford/McCowan Building, Crichton University Campus, Dumfries DG1 4ZL, Scotland
Amy is an essayist, working on a collection of essays exploring inequalities in death and dying for those experiencing homelessness. She received an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Glasgow in 2014. Her essays and other work have appeared in Spry Literary Journal, Fat City Review, From Glasgow to Saturn, Cemetery Travels Blog, Metafore, Sociology of Health & Illness, UofG’s End of Life Studies Blog, and was long-listed for Mslexia’s 2014 Women’s Memoir Competition. She is an avid hiker and likens her PhD experience to that of her climb up Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- “Evaporate,” Metafore Literary Magazine, Spring 2019.
- “Pushing Up Mare’s Tails: Using Creative Writing and the Essay to Argue for Access to the Good Death & Dignity in Death for All.” Paper presented at the Centre for Death and Society (CDAS) at the University of Bath, June 2018, http://www.bath.ac.uk/cdas/documents/cdas18_book_of_abstracts.pdf
- “Book Review” of The Gay Science: Intimate Experiments with the Problem of HIV by Kane Race, in Sociology of Health and Illness, Wiley, May 2018, ISSN 0141-9889, pp. 1-2, doi: 10.1111/1467-9566.12750
- “Observations from a first Reading & Writing Death Workshop,” University of Glasgow End of Life Studies Blog, Feb 2018
- "Pushing Up Mare’s Tails,” Cemetery Travel: Adventures in Graveyards Around the World, Feb 2016
- “Greetings from Fresno,” a working memoir was long-listed for Mslexia’s 2014 Women’s Memoir Competition, Fall 2014
- “When Zombies Attack,” From Glasgow to Saturn, Issue 33, p. 35, March 2014
- “Endless Sunsets,” Scottish Book Trust, Stories of Home, Spring 2014
- “Period Calendar,” Spry Literary Journal, Issue 1, January 2013
- “In Defense of Beards,” Fat City Review, Fall 2013
- Adjunct Instructor & Writing Center Tutor, Massachusetts College of Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences (MCHPS)
- Introduction to Academic Reading & Writing
- Expository Writing II
- Humanities Elective: Essay as Activism
- Tutored at the Writing Center at MCPHS.
- Facilitated Reading & Writing Death & Dying Workshops
- Writing Tutor, Bunker Hill Community College
- Adjunct Instructor, Reedley College
- College Writing Skills
- ESL & Writing Instructor at Rosie’s Place, Women’s Shelter
- Library Writing Workshops
- Teaching Placement: University of Glasgow, Undergraduate Creative Writing Workshop and Seminar
- Teaching Placement: HM Prison Barlinnie (Scottish Prison Service) Creative Writing Workshop and Seminar