Forteviot Church

Forteviot Church

Study of the parish church has shown it to be on the site of a medieval predecessor, and so possibly the site of an early monastery, but no sign of Pictish occupation has so far been identified.  Stumps of two walls and a possible buttress projecting from the east wall show that the rebuilding of the church in 1778 incorporated parts of an earlier building, which was probably the medieval church documented since the 13th century.  The topography of the churchyard has also been investigated, showing a low mound to the south of the present building, and a series of post-medieval tombstones dating as early as 1690.  All this suggests that the putative Pictish church may have been in roughly the same location as the present church, and confirms a high status focus on the south side of the village.  Stray finds collected within the manse grounds include an 18th century sundial, an Iron Age quern, a date-stone of 1686 (possibly from the earlier manse), and a possible medieval quern.