Dr Laura Ward
- Research Associate (School of Health & Wellbeing)
I recently started as a Project Manager (Trusted Research Environment) at the Health Informatics Centre (HIC) at the University of Dundee's Medical School. I am still involved in various research projects with the SHW and will maintain an affiliate position for another 2 months.
My work involves multiple fields of expertise including clinical psychology, statistics, epidemiology, public health, dentistry and data linkage. By providing evidence of the health and health inequalities faced by those with intellectual (learning) disabilities, my work can inform government and NHS policy to effect improvements and reduce the gap experienced by this vulnerable population.
Research interests include:
- Anticholinergic burden
- Mental health
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- A Scotland-Australia collaboration to improve access to cancer screening among people with intellectual disabilities: Developing a shared research agenda
The Royal Society of Edinburgh
2023 - 2025
- Examining potential factors underlying the increased risk of severe COVID-19 experienced by people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Baily Thomas Charitable Fund
2022 - 2023
PhD Student: Christine Pacitti
Title of thesis: Investigating the use of pain medication in adults with intellectual disabilities: relationship with polypharmacy and impact on health-related outcomes
Professional activities & recognition
Selected international presentations
- 2021: 6th IASSIDD Europe Congress (Amsterdam/ Virtual)
- 2019: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (Vancouver)
- 2018: 5th IASSIDD Europe Congress (Athens)