Health Economics for HTA
This course aims to provide students with a critical understanding of health economics, its value and limitations. It will familiarise participants with the application of economic theory to health and health care issues, the principles of health economics and the techniques of economic appraisal.
If you would like to find out more about our MSc in Health Technology Assessment which this module is a part of, please see our course page: www.gla.ac.uk/hta
- Course dates: 17th April - 30th June 2022
- Online Distance Learning (ODL)
- Non-accredited, but with a certificate of attendance
- For more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purpose: This course will deliver the fundamentals of health economics and the practical elements of economic evaluation that are integral to health technology assessment.
- Content: key concepts of economics, economic characteristics of health care, economic evaluation techniques, sensitivity analysis, health economics informing decision making.
- Course Co-ordinators: Dr Kathleen Boyd, Senior Lecturer in Health Economics & Nicola McMeekin, Research Assistant
Why this programme?
- Our faculty are world-class experts in their fields, who are active not only in research and teaching, but also involved in HTA decision-making at a national level (e.g. through NICE, SHTAG).
- Our teaching is research-led. The courses have been developed to reflect the latest academic research and up-to-date challenges in HTA decision-making.
- During the course, from week to week you will interact with your teachers and fellow participants. Your teachers will direct and observe the discussion, and respond to participant questions about the course content.
Online distance learning at the University of Glasgow allows you to benefit from the outstanding educational experience that we are renowned for, without having to relocate to our campus.
You do not need to have experience of studying online as you will be guided through how to access and use all of our online resources.
You will connect with your fellow participants and tutors through our virtual learning environment where you will have access to a multitude of learning resources including:
- recorded lectures
- interactive quizzes
Great emphasis is placed on making sure you feel well supported in your learning and that you have good interactions with everyone on the programme. Support is available in a number of ways and you will find out more about this during orientation.
All you need to participate in our online programmes is a computer and internet access.
10 week online course comprising 10 lectures and accompanying practical exercises. The lectures will be 45min/1hr in duration and exercises associated with lectures will take a notional 2 hours for the participants to complete. Each week the academic lead will be responsible for monitoring and contributing to the discussion board. The exercise solutions will be posted on moodle the following week.
Here you can find full details of the 10 weeks of the Health Economics for HTA course outline
Entry Requirements and Assessment
As this course is not accredited, there are no course-specific entry requirements and there is no assessment.
If you have any questions, or if you would like any more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
If you would like to find out more information about our unit, please see here: www.gla.ac.uk/hehta
If you would like to see more about our MSc in Health Technology Assessment that this module is a part of, please see our course page: www.gla.ac.uk/hta