Dr Tim Dempster
- Senior Lecturer in Geology (School of Geographical & Earth Sciences)
My research interests are focused on the use of minerals to reveal information on crustal processes.
- Zircon as an indicator of low and medium grade metamorphic processes.
- Garnet zoning and the role of diffusion processes in controlling metamorphic reractions.
- Grain boundaries and the movement of fluids through the crust. The morphology of mineral surfaces as a guide to reaction history, palaeoporosity and deformation in crustal rocks.
- Chemical zoning in accessory minerals as a monitor of crystallisation history.
- The initial phases of orogenic evolution and links between surface processes and tectonics.
- Zircon dissolution, recrystallization and growth during metamorphism
- Using novel techniques to monitor fluid flow through the crust (Grain boundary analysis, Accessory mineral behaviour)
- Development of granite textures with links to magma mixing and permeability changes during crystallization
- Orogenic development and the spatial and temporal variability of geothermal gradients
In addition, I maintain active research interests in the following areas:
- The kinetics of metamorphic reactions and the importance of chemical zoning in rock-forming minerals such as micas, in controlling equilibrium.
- The use of thermochronology to monitor denudation histories in high elevation tectonic regions.
- The geological evolution of crustal terranes in the Caledonides in the context of Late Proterozoic Earth history.
McLeod, G.W., Dempster, T.J. and Faithfull, J.W. (2011) Deciphering magma-mixing processes using zoned titanite from the Ross of Mull granite, Scotland. Journal of Petrology, 52(1), pp. 55-82. (doi:10.1093/petrology/egq071)
Hay, D. and Dempster, T.J. (2009) Zircon alteration, formation and preservation in sandstones. Sedimentology, 56(7), pp. 2175-2191. (doi:10.1111/j.1365-3091.2009.01075.x)
Hay, D. and Dempster, T.J. (2009) Zircon behaviour during low-temperature metamorphism. Journal of Petrology, 50(4), pp. 571-589. (doi:10.1093/petrology/egp011)
Dempster, T.J., Hay, D., Gordon, S.H. and Kelly, N.M. (2008) Micro-zircon: origin and evolution during metamorphism. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 26(5), pp. 499-507. (doi:10.1111/j.1525-1314.2008.00772.x)
Shipton Z. K., Lawther S., Dempster T. and Boyce A. (SUERC). 2009-2010. Variability in fault architecture, mineralogy and fluid flow through faults in granite gneiss exhumed from seismogenic depths. NERC Isotope Geoscience Facility award IP-1156-1109, £43,200.
Persano, C. and Dempster, T.J. 2007. Constraints on the longevity of fluid flow in the crust from low temperature thermochronometry and numerical modelling., £10,000 (Royal Society London)
Persano, C. and Dempster, T.J. 2006-2007. The detection of fluid movements in the crust using low temperature thermochronology, £29,996 (Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland)
Hoey, T. B.; Bishop, P.; Dempster, T.J. 2001. Inferring denudation history from He isotope and cosmogenic analysis of sediments, £10,034 (Leverhulme Trust). Co-Investigator F. Stuart (SUERC).
Allan Hollinsworth (PhD candidate)
- Earth Sciences Level 1 Metamorphic rocks
- Earth Sciences Level 1 Earth History
- Earth Sciences Level 2 Global Tectonics
- Earth Sciences Level 2 Metamorphic Processes
- Earth Sciences Level 2 Minerals
- Earth Sciences Level 2 Field skills
- Earth Sciences Level 3 Metamorphism
- Earth Sciences Level 3 Stratigraphy
- Earth Sciences Level 4 Major Earth Processes
- Earth Sciences Level 4 (option course) Orogens and Basins
Earth Sciences Field Classes
- Level 3 Mull (1 week residential course Oct)
- Level 3 Oban (1 week residential course April)
- Level 3 Stonehaven (Metamorphic Petrology L3), Corrieburn (Structural Geology L3)
- Level 4 Southern Spain (12 day residential course March: Orogens and Basins option)
Recent qualifications and recognition:
DSc (University of Glasgow) 2016
University of Glasgow Individual Teaching Excellence Awards (2008-9; 2013-14)
College of Science and Engineering Teaching Excellence Award (2013-14)
Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (2016)
Senior Fellow - Recognising Excellence in Teaching (RET) (2016)
Senior Adviser of Studies (Earth Science & Geology)
School Quality Assurance Officer (2013-present)
Responsible emplacement and development of the "Rock around the University" field teaching resource
External Examiner University of Aberdeen (2014-present)
External Examiner University of Leeds (2012-2015)
External Examiner University of Derby (2006-10)
School Director of Teaching and Learning (2008-2011)
Head of Earth Science Teaching programmes (2005-2013)
Chair of Honours Earth Science (2005-2013)