Dr Shengrong Bu
- Lecturer in Glasgow College UESTC (Systems Power & Energy) (Systems Power & Energy)
Shengrong Bu received the Ph.D. degree in electrical and computer engineering from Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada, in 2012. She held a research position at Huawei Technologies Canada Inc., Ottawa, as a NSERC Industrial R & D Fellowship until 2014. She is currently a Lecturer (Assistant Professor equivalent) with the James Watt School of Engineering, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, U.K.
She has made research contributions in both academic and industry settings, and her research findings have been published in high-impact IEEE Transaction journals and have received more than 1800 cumulative citations. She has received three best paper awards at IEEE International conferences.
She has served as an Associate Editor for the journal Springer Wireless Networks, a guest editor for IEEE Access, and organized six IEEE International workshops as a TPC co-chair.
She is serving as a co-investigator on the EPSRC project D-band Wireless Backbone with Fiber Data Rate (total value around £450,000).
She has served as a funding reviewer for EPSRC, reviewing projects worth more than £10 million in total.
My research focuses on cyber-physical energy systems including smart grids, wireless networks and network security, and fog computing and internet of things (IoT), and on the application of cutting-edge big data analytics, deep learning, deep reinforcement learning (DRL), game theory, and stochastic optimization to real-world problems.
Awarded NSERC PDF Fellowship (Rank: 1st in Electrical Engineering, Canada), 2014
Best Paper Awards
- One of the Best 50 Papers (out of 2171 submitted) at IEEE GLOBECOM'2014
- IEEE Communications Society TAOS Technical Committee’s Award 2012 for Best Paper at IEEE GLOBECOM’2012
- IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN) 2005 Best Student Paper Award
For prospective students and visiting scholars
I am always keen to recruit talented PhD and master's students who have a strong background in electrical engineering, computer engineering, systems, electronics, or related fields. The research areas of PhD and master students will be connected to my research interests (see above). Information on school scholarships can be found here:
Additionally, there exist several positions for self-funded or government-funded (e.g., CSC) students.
I am also interested in hosting a selected number of visiting scholars in related areas.
If you are interested, please send your CV, transcripts, English test scores, and any other useful information by email. Your thesis, sample publications, or reports that highlight your research and presentation skills are also valuable.
If you are interested in post-doctoral work at the University of Glasgow, there may be funding available through these channels:
- Lord Kelvin Adam Smith Research Fellowships
- Newton International Fellowships
- Newton Research Collaboration Programme
- The Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowships
- RAEng Research Fellowships
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions - Research Fellowship Programme
- EPSRC Fellowships
1. EPSRC project D-Band Wireless Backbone with Fiber Data Rate (Co-I) 2019-2021
2. Principals Early Career Mobility Scheme Grant (PI) 2018-2019
3. College of Science and Engineering Academic Returner Fund (PI) 2018-2019
4. Smart Fences : Developing of condition monitoring system (CMS) for rockfall catch fences (Co-I) 2017-2018
Current PhD Students
* Fangzhou Zhao (started 2021) -- as First Supervisor
Research Interest: Deep Learning, Big Data Analytics, Internet of Things for Medical Applications, Security
* Gaddafi Almannouny (started 2019) -- as First Supervisor
Research Interest: Smart Grid, Multi-Energy Systems, Integrated Demand Response, Deep Reinforcement Learning
* Yushen Miao (started 2019) -- as First Supervisor
Research Interest: Smart Grid, Multi-Energy Systems, Energy Storage, Deep Reinforcement Learning
* Tianyi Chen (started 2018) -- as First Supervisor
Research Interest: Smart Grid, Multi-Energy Systems, Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading, Deep Reinforcement Learning
* James Oyedeokun (started 2016) -- as First Supervisor
Research Interest: Smart Grid, Demand Response, Machine Learning, Big Data Analytics
* Metin Ozturk (PhD) -- as Second Supervisor
* Yong Wee Foo (PhD) -- as Second Supervisor
* Naji (PhD) -- as Second Supervisor
PhD Alumni (Glasgow)
* Fauzun Asuhaimi (PhD, 2019) -- as First Supervisor
Thesis Title: “Delay and Energy Efficiency Optimizations in Smart Grid Neighbourhood Area Networks”
Now holds faculty position at Islamic Science University of Malaysia, Malaysia
- Digital Circuit Design UESTC3020
- Embedded Processors UESTC2004
- Real Time Computer Systems ENG3043
- Embedded Processors ENG2029
- Real Time Embedded Programming ENG5220
Prior Teaching Activities
- Secure Mobile Networking (NET4010) (Carleton University, Canada)
- Network Management and Measurements (NET3006) (Carleton University, Canada)
N2Women Mentoring Co-Chair (2016-2018)
Editorial Board for Journals
- Associate Editor, Springer Wireless Networks
- Guest Editor, IEEE Access, Special Sections on Emerging Trends of Energy and Spectrum Harvesting Technologies
- Editor, IEEE TCGCC NewsLetters
Organizing Committee for Conferences
- TPC Co-chair, International Workshop on Big Data and Wireless Networks, in conjunction with GLOBECOM 2016, Washington, DC USA
- TPC Symposium Chair, Green and Sustainable Communications and Network Computing Symposium, The 12th IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob) 17 - 19th October 2016, New York, USA
- TPC Co-Chair, IEEE VTC-Spring Workshop on Connecting All Things for Enabling Smart Cities, Nanjing, China, 2016
- TPC Co-Chair, IEEE ICC Workshop on Green Communications and Networks with Energy Harvesting, Smart Grids, and Renewable Energies, London, UK, 2015.
- TPC Co-Chair, IEEE INFOCOM15 Workshop on Mobile Cloud and Virtualization, Hong Kong, China, Apr. 2015.
- Publicity Co-Chair, 12th IEEE International Conference on Advanced and Trusted Computing (ATC 2015), Beijing, China, August 10-14, 2015.
- TPC Co-Chair, IEEE ICCC International Workshop on Green Mobile Computing Networks, Xi'an, China, 2013.
Technical Program Committee (TPC) for Conferences
- 7th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, 2015
- The 14th IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing and Communications, 2015
- Workshop on Next Generation of Green ICT and 5G Networking, 2015
- IEEE GLOBECOM Workshop on Emerging Technologies for 5G, 2015
- IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference VTC2015-Spring, Green Communications and Networks Track, 2015
- IEEE GLOBECOM, Cognitive Radio and Networks Symposium, 2013, 2014, 2015
- IEEE GLOBECOM, Selected Areas on Communications Symposium Green Communications, 2014
- IEEE VTC-Fall, Green Communications and Networks Track, 2014
- IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Mobile Cloud Computing, 2014
- IEEE GLOBECOM Workshop on Emerging Technologies for LTE-Advanced and Beyond 4G, 2013, 2014
- IEEE GreenCom, Communications and Networking, 2013
- International Symposium on Green Networks and Distributed Systems, 2013
- IEEE CCNC, Green Communications and Computations track, 2013
- IEEE Global High Tech Congress on Electronics, 2012
- IEEE ICC Workshop on Green Communications and Networking, 2012
- IEEE VTC-Spring, Wireless Networks Track, 2012
- IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Communications and Control for Sustainable Energy Systems: Green Networking and Smart Grids, 2012
- IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Green Wireless Communications and Networking, 2011
- The 9th Conference on Communication Networks and Services Research Conference, 2011
- IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications
- IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
- IEEE Communications Letters
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid
- IEEE Communications Magazine
- IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine
- ACM Wireless Networks
- Journal of Communications and Networks
- IET Wireless Sensor Systems
- IEEE GLOBECOM
- IEEE ICC
- IEEE VTC
- IEEE SmartgridComm
- IEEE GreenCom