Dr Li Hong Idris Lim
- Associate Professor (University of Glasgow Singapore)
Dr Idris Lim received the B.Eng. and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering from the National University of Singapore, Singapore, in 2004 and 2008, respectively. From 2008 to 2012, she was with Vestas Technology R&D. From 2013 to 2019, she has been a full-time Assistant Professor of Electronic Systems with the University of Glasgow, Glasgow, U.K. Since August 2019, she has been serving as an Associate Professor with UofG. She was Programme Director for Aerospace Engineering in Singapore from Apr 2019 to Jul 2020. She has been leading the Mechanical Design Engineering programme and Mechatronics programme in Singapore from August 2017 to August 2020. Concurrently, she is managing the joint SIT-UofG BEng (Hons.) in Mechanical Engineering in Singapore from September 2019 to present. In addition, she leads Learning, Teaching and Scholarship (LTS) as Director of Teaching for University of Glasgow Singapore (UGS) and founded the LTS Taskforce in UGS in August 2019. She is a Senior Member of IEEE.
Dr. Idris Lim is committed to the cause of contribution towards the society and community. Her research interests are mainly in renewable energy, the smart nation, and biomedical device development. Her background in Systems and Control and her previous work experience has resulted in numerous grant applications, publications, and patents in the following areas.
- PV system identification and forecasting
- Bifacial PV modelling, simulation and test
- Energy management in microgrids
- Control of wind energy systems
- Deep learning for image processing
- Biomedical device development for the prevention of neuropathy in cancer patients
- MOE-Translational & Innovation Funding (MOE-TIF) with Ngee Ann Polytechnic, National University of Singapore and National University Hospital, Awarded on 21 March 2019.
- University of Glasgow, Learning and Teaching Development Fund, "Supporting Active Learning with Digital Lectures", Awarded Dec 2018 and Completed in 2019.
- 2015 - 2021: Mr. Tang Lai Meng, Part-Time Ph.D. (full-time lecturer with Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore),"Image Reconstruction Under Visual Disruption caused by Rain"
2018 - Present: Mr. Ernest Sng, Full-Time Ph.D. (full-time research engineer with Renewable Energy Corporation, Singapore), "Modelliing and Characterisation of Industrial Bifacial Solar Cells for High Efficiency Modules"
- 2019 - Present: Mr. Tee Jing Zhong, Full-Time Ph.D. (full-time R&D engineer with SembCorp Marine, Singapore), "Development and Analysis of Hybrid Renewable Energy System for Offshore Oil and Gas Rigs"
Candidates and companies are welcome to make a postgraduate project proposal related to renewable energy management, image processing, and biomedical device development. Please refer to a number of postgraduate research opportunities and scholarship schemes at this link below.
Past Projects (2018 - 2020):
- Design and development of "gloves" for pain relief (Partners: NUS, NUH)
- Design and development of cooling gloves to prevent neuropathy (Partners: NUS, NUH)
- Exercise band sanitiser (Partner: SGH Life Clinic)
- Understanding and Optimization of Off-Grid Solar System with Various Type of Batteries (Partner; Sunseap)
- Development of an optimal stand-alone hybrid energy system (Partner: Sunseap)
- Automated handheld device for trigger point (Partner: NUH)
- Solar energy simulation and characterisation of panels for performance optimisation (Partner: REC)
- Design and Development of I-V Tracer for Fault Diagnosis of PV Systems (Partner: REC)
- Modelling and Parameter Identification of PV Panels (Partner: REC)
- Study and Analysis of the effect of Solar Backsheet on Bifacial High-Efficiency Solar Modules. (Partner: REC)
- Outdoor System Test on Bifacial High-Efficiency Solar Modules with Reflectors. (Partner: REC)
- Develop and study analysis of offshore wind turbine generation (WTG) in the off-the-grid (Partner: SembCorp Marine)
- Develop hybrid renewable energy system for quality power flow for dynamic load conditions (Partner: SembCorp Marine)
- Development of energy management system for dynamic load conditions in hybrid energy systems (Partner: SembCorp Marine)
- Active Damper for Surgical Microscope (Partner: Leica Microsystems)
- Short Term Irradiance Forecasting for Neighbouring PV Stations (Partner: A*STAR I2R)
- Modelling of Cloud Movement to enable Accurate Irradiance Forecasting (Partner: A*STAR I2R)
- Electric Vehicle Health Prognostics with Battery Management System (Partner: A*STAR I2R)
- Development of an indoor robot capable of SLAM and visualisation
- Pipe Climbing Robot
- Digital Photography for an outdoor Computer Vision task (Partner: Ngee Ann Polytechnic)
- Dynamic weather auto-image capturing using a high-resolution video camera mounted on a moveable hardware platform for an outdoor Computer Vision task (Partner: Ngee Ann Polytechnic)
- Transforming poor quality to high-quality images (Partner: Ngee Ann Polytechnic)
- Rain Removal using Deep Machine Learning (Partner: Ngee Ann Polytechnic)
- Computer vision algorithms to transform an image style from one form to the other(Partner: Ngee Ann Polytechnic)
- Power Electronics 2N
- Dynamics 3N
- Control 3N
- Control 4N
- Project 4N
- Fundamentals of Electronics & Circuits (Tutorials/Lab)
- Mechatronics Design
- Specialised Engineering Project
- IPR, “MEASURING LOADS ON WIND TURBINE BLADES”, Kok Leong Chong, Chee Kang Lim, Teck Bin Arthur Lim, Li Hong Idris Lim, US 12954737, 26th November 2010
- IPR, “IMPROVED CONTROL OF WIND TURBINE BLADE LIFT REGULATING MEANS”, Tim BEHRENS, Li Hong Idris LIM, Tian LIM, Chee Kang LIM, Teck Bin Arthur LIM, Kok CHONG, Whye Ghee KIM, Yun Chong Gabriel CHANG, Loh Wuh KEN, WO 2011057633, 20th May 2011
- IPR, “A WIND TURBINE AND A METHOD FOR DETERMINING THE PRESENCE AND/OR THICKNESS OF AN ICE LAYER ON A BLADE BODY OF A WIND TURBINE”, Lim Li Hong Idris, Kim Whye Ghee, Chong Kok Leong, US PA 201170761, 29th December 2011
- IPR, “CONTROL OF WIND TURBINE BLADE LIFT REGULATING MEANS”, Tim Behrens, Li Hong Idris Lim, Tian Lim, Chee Kang Lim, Teck Bin Arthur Lim, Kok Leong Chong, Whye Ghee Kim, Yun Chong Gabriel Chang, Loh Wuh Ken, VESTAS WIND SYSTEMS A/S, US 20120224965, 6th Sept 2012
- IPR, “IMPROVED CONTROL OF WIND TURBINE BLADE LIFT REGULATING MEANS””, Tim Behrens, Li Hong Idris Lim, Tian Lim, Chee Kang Lim, Teck Bin Arthur Lim, EP 2499358, 19th Sept 2012