Dr Keliang Zhou
- Senior Lecturer in Glasgow College UESTC (Systems Power & Energy)
I have enjoyed a nomadic life in different countries in the past tens of years.
I received my Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore in 2002. In 1992 and 1995 I was conferred the B. Eng. Degree and the M. Eng. Degree by Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China and Wuhan Transportation University in China respectively.
Co-inventing two key patented technology on electronic levels (e.g. Leica Sprinter Digital Level for geodetic survey), I worked with Leica as an R&D engineer in Singapore (2001-2003). After that I took the post of Research Fellow in Satellite Engineering Centre at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore (2003-2005) and in Electrical Power Processing Group at Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands (2005-2006), respectively.
I spent five happy years (2006-2011) as a full Professor at Southeast University in China, where I was appointed as the Deputy Director of Wind Power Generation Research Centre. I underwent three rattling academic years (2011-2014) at University of Canterbury in New Zealand, where Christchurch is being rebuilt after the big quake in 2011.
I am currently a Senior Lecturer in the School of Engineering at the University of Glasgow. Recently I have co-authored one monograph on my favorite topic "periodic control of power electronic converters" (IET 2017) with several leading researchers in this field.
学我所爱 I learn what I love to
我行我素 I do what I wish to
做好自己 Be my best self
My current research is focused in
- Power electronics and electric drives
- Control theory and applications
- Renewable energy integration
- Smart grid technologies
I am one of poineering researchers and active contributors in the fields of periodic control (including repetitive control, resonant control, harmonic control, integral control) of power converters, PWM techniques, and modeling and control of high frequency link converters. I am taking particular research interests in
- Advanced control of power conversion, addressing power quality and smart grid support;
- Power converters beyond "little box challenge", towards high power density, high efficiency, high reliability and high performance;
- Smart grid technologies: big-data driven renewable energy integration;
- General PID control and applications
The very exciting research is dedicated to creating much better (efficient, reliable, intelligent, compact, and superior performance) power electronics and control solutions to “smarter” and “greener” electrical power systems. I have authored or coauthored about 120 published peer-reviewed technical papers (including about 60 journal articles) and tens of patents. Several journal articles rank in the list of highly cited papers in relevant areas. For example, "Relationship between Space-Vector Modulation and Three-phase Carrier-based PWM: A Comprehensive Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 49(1): 186-196" is cited 1000+ (My Google Scholar).
Zhou, K. and Wang, D. (2001) Digital repetitive learning controller for three-phase CVCF PWM inverter. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 48(4), pp. 820-830. (doi:10.1109/41.937415)
Zhou, K. , Ferreira, J.A. and de Haan, S.W.H. (2008) Optimal energy management strategy and system sizing method for stand-alone photovoltaic-hydrogen systems. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 33(2), pp. 477-489. (doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2007.09.027)
Zhou, K. , Wang, D., Zhang, B., Wang, Y., Ferreira, J.A. and de Haan, S.W.H. (2007) Dual-mode structure digital repetitive control. Automatica, 43(3), pp. 546-554. (doi:10.1016/j.automatica.2006.09.018)
Yang, Y., Zhou, K. , Wang, H., Blaabjerg, F., Wang, D. and Zhang, B. (2015) Frequency adaptive selective harmonic control for grid-connected inverters. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30(7), pp. 3912-3924. (doi:10.1109/TPEL.2014.2344049)
Zhou, K. and Wang, D. (2002) Relationship between space-vector modulation and three-phase carrier-based PWM: a comprehensive analysis [three-phase inverters]. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 49(1), pp. 186-196. (doi:10.1109/41.982262)
- Principal Investigator (PI), “Internal Model Principle based Exact Control of Power Electronic Conversion System”, Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 2010-2012
- PI, “Voltage Stability of Wind Power Grid Integration in Jiangsu Province”, Industrial Project, 2009-2010
- PI, “Grid-off Renewable Generation System with Hybrid Energy Storage”, Grants for Outstanding Talents in Six Industries, Jiangsu Province, China, 2009-2012,
- PI, “Repetitive Control based ‘Clean’ Power Supply”, Jiangsu Province Natural Science Foundation, China, 2007-2009
- PI, “Waveform Synthesis and Harmonics Suppression of Switching Power Conversion System”, Ministry of Education, China, 2008-2010
- PI, “Topologies and Control of VSC-HVDC Systems for Grid Connection of Large-Scale Off-Shore Wind Farm”, Industrial Project, China, 2007-2008
Since 2007, as the principal supervisor, I have successfully supervised four PhD research students and six Master research students to complete their study and get their degrees from Southeast University in China. These postgraduate students and I have published over 20 high quality peer-reviewed (including tens of top rank international) journal papers and tens of patents in the fields of power electronics and renewable energy generation.
I am interested in supervising new PhD projects in the following areas:
- Big-data driven renewable energy integration
- Periodic control and its applications (e.g. power conversion, ultra-precision positioning, vibration suppression …)
- Next generation high frequency link converters
Ph.D. research in above fields available for high potential candidates, with possible overseas immersion research opportunity. Talented yous are encouraged to pursue your PhD via:
CSC (国家留学基金), James Watt or other research scholarships at
- Power Electronics
- Power Engineering
- UoG-UESTC EEE Program Director