Dr Fei Jin
- Assistant Professor (Geotechnical Engineering) (Infrastructure & Environment)
I am a Chartered Engineer (CEng, UK) and a Professional Member of Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining(MIMMM). I obtained my BEng Degree in Geotechnical Engineering in 2009 from Southeast University, China. Then I joined the Geotechnical Research Group at the University of Cambridge and completed my PhD in 2014. I continued to work as a postdoc in Cambridge on the technical and commercial development of magnesia-based binders in Land Remediation and Energy Infrastructure. In 2017, I joined the University of Glasgow as an assistant professor (Geotechnical Engineering) in its Singapore campus.
- Oct. 2010-Jul. 2014 University of Cambridge, UK, PhD in Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Sep. 2005-Jun. 2009 Southeast University, China, BEng. in Geotechnical Engineering
- Dec. 2017-present Assistant Professor, School of Engineering, University of Glasgow Singapore
- Jul. 2015-Nov. 2017 Research Associate, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK
- Aug. 2014-Jul. 2015 Research Associate, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK
My research interests include:
- Soil remediation
- Waste treatment and utilisation
- Ground improvement
- MgO-based cements
- Alkali-activated cements
Please refer to https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Fei_Jin4 for details.
Jin, F. , Gu, K. and Al-Tabbaa, A. (2014) Strength and drying shrinkage of reactive MgO modified alkali-activated slag paste. Construction and Building Materials, 51, pp. 395-404. (doi:10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.10.081)
Shen, Z., Zhang, Y., Jin, F. , McMillan, O. and Al-Tabbaa, A. (2017) Qualitative and quantitative characterisation of adsorption mechanisms of lead on four biochars. Science of the Total Environment, 609, pp. 1401-1410. (doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.08.008) (PMID:156757)
Jin, F. , Gu, K. and Al-Tabbaa, A. (2015) Strength and hydration properties of reactive MgO-activated ground granulated blastfurnace slag paste. Cement and Concrete Composites, 57, pp. 8-16. (doi:10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2014.10.007)
Abdalqader, A. F., Jin, F. and Al-Tabbaa, A. (2016) Development of greener alkali-activated cement: utilisation of sodium carbonate for activating slag and fly ash mixtures. Journal of Cleaner Production, 113, pp. 66-75. (doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.12.010)
Jin, F. and Al-Tabbaa, A. (2014) Strength and hydration products of reactive MgO–silica pastes. Cement and Concrete Composites, 52, pp. 27-33. (doi:10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2014.04.003)
Jin, F. , Wang, F. and Al-Tabbaa, A. (2016) Three-year performance of in-situ solidified/stabilised soil using novel MgO-bearing binders. Chemosphere, 144, pp. 681-688. (doi:10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.09.046) (PMID:26408974)
Shen, Z., Hou, D., Xu, W., Zhang, J., Jin, F. , Zhao, B., Pan, S., Peng, T. and Alessi, D. S. (2018) Long-term stability of cadmium and lead in a soil washing residue amended with MgO-based binders using quantitative accelerated ageing. Science of the Total Environment, 643, pp. 1571-1578. (doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.321)
Mo, L., Zhang, F., Deng, M., Jin, F. , Al-Tabbaa, A. and Wang, A. (2017) Accelerated carbonation and performance of concrete made with steel slag as binding materials and aggregates. Cement and Concrete Composites, 83, pp. 138-145. (doi:10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2017.07.018)
Applications are welcome for PhD studies from high quality applicants with existing funding or those applying for an external scholarship. Please see my research interests above and feel free to contact me by email.
For Singaporeans and PRs, an Industrial Postgraduate Program (IPP) is available to fully fund 2-year MSc or 4-year PhD students by Singapore EDB. The funding covers: (i) monthly allowance up to S$3500; (ii) CPF contribution; (iii) full tuition fees and (iv) research grant up to S$25K/year. Applicaiton is open throughout the year. If you are interested, please email me to discuss the details.
- Engineering Geology & Soil Mechanics
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Foundation Engineering
- Professional member of Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- Member of International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
- Editorial board member - Journal of ICE-Environmental Geotechnics
- Guest Editor - Environmental Pollution Virtual Special Issue (VSI): Global Soil Pollution
- Scientific Committee Member of International Conference on Civil Engineering Fundamentals and Applications (ICCEFA'19). Orlando, Florida, USA, 2019
- Invited speaker and Scientific Committee Member of the 3rd International Conference on Bioresources, Energy, Environment, and Materials Technology 2019 (BEEM2019). Hong Kong, China, 2019
- Session Chair - 8th International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics, Hangzhou, China, 2018
- Organising Committee Member of the 1st & 2nd Tsinghua Forum on Environmental Remediation, Beijing, China, 2018 & 2019
- Session Chair - 37th Annual Cement Concrete Science Conference, University College London, UK, 2017
- Organiser & Chair of the UK/China workshop on the advances in soil remediation technologies, University of Cambridge, UK, 2015
- Reviewed for over 30 international journals including: Land Degradation & Development, Environmental International, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Journal of Cleaner Production, Environmental Pollution, RSC Advances, Science of the Total Environment, Cement and Concrete Research, Journal of CO2 Utilization, Cement and Concrete Composites, Construction and Building Materials, Materials and Structures and others. Please refer to https://publons.com/author/451782/fei-jin#profile for details.
- Reviewed grant proposals from United Arab Emirates University, Nanyang Technological University, Czech Science Foundation and National Center of Science and Technology Evaluation of Kazakhstan.
- Excellent Reviewer - Chemosphere
- Outstanding Reviewer - Journal of Hazardous Materials, Cement and Concrete Research, Cement and Concrete Composites, Journal of CO2 Utilization, Journal of Cleaner Production, Science of the Total Environment, Materials & Design, Environmental Pollution, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Ecotoxicology & Environmental Safety, Construction and Building Materials, Journal of Environmental Management, Thermochimica Acta