Dr Dong Nguyen
- Lecturer (Educational Leadership & Policy)
Dong Nguyen is a Lecturer in Educational Leadership and the Programme Leader of the MEd in Educational Leadership at the University of Glasgow, United Kingdom.
Prior to this post, he worked as as a teacher in Vietnam and then as a research associate at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and a postdoctoral research associate at the University of Glasgow.
Dong Nguyen holds a two-year Master’s degree in International and Comparative Education from Stockholm University, Sweden and a PhD degree in Educational Leadership from the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Dong Nguyen’s research interests include educational leadership across sectors and cultures, evidenced-based education, and comparative education. He has conducted and published research on educational leadership and change across continents.
Dong Nguyen is open to both qualitative and quantitative research approaches. He is particularly keen on employing grounded theory as a methodology for theory building and a method for data analysis. He is interested in theorising individual, organisational and social processes.
Dong Nguyen’s doctoral research adopted grounded theory methodology to conceptualise the process of teachers leading change in Singapore schools. His study contributes a theoretical model of change engagement that describes and explains the process of teachers engaging their peers in planning, implementing, and diffusing educational initiatives in their schools.
Dong Nguyen welcomes potential postgraduate students interested in undertaking research related to the following areas.
- Educational change and improvements
- Evidence-based education
- Leadership development / learning
- Leadership for professional learning and equity
- Leadership models (e.g., instructional leadership, teacher leadership, etc.)
- Theorising leadership processes / practices across sectors and cultures
Dong Nguyen is currently supervising seven doctoral students who are undertaking research on the following topics.
- Inter-ogranisational collaboration in Scottish education system
- Leadership for system-level educational reforms in Vietnam
- Middle leadership in Chinese higher education
- Leadership for professional learning in Malaysian schools
- Professional learning for university lecturers in Vietnam
- Leadership and quality assurance in higher education
- Evidence-based school leadership in Malaysia
Dong Nguyen is open to invitations to serve as an examiner of EdD/PhD theses focusing on the aforementioned areas of research.
Dong Nguyen mainly teaches courses related to leadership in education, leadership learning and research methods at the postgraduate level.