Mental health and wellbeing of international doctoral students in the UK: An investigation of supervisors’ understanding and existing support provision
This research investigated how well supervisors understand the mental health and wellbeing of international doctoral students, and what support supervisors can provide given the seemingly poor levels of psychological wellbeing experienced by this group. Based on our recent engagements with HE stakeholders in supporting international doctoral students, a focus on supervisors’ role was strongly endorsed. We explored this timely but less explored area through: a) extant blog narratives on international supervision; and) b) in-depth creative interviews with experienced doctoral supervisors from UK HE institutions. With the breadth (whole UK), depth, and complementarity of textual and visual data, findings yielded evidence-based understanding and inform the development of interventions and an invaluable training package tailored to supervisors of international doctoral students.
PI and Co-Is
PI - Dr Chris Blackmore (PI) Senior University Teacher, University of Sheffield
Co-I - Dr Dely L Elliot, Senior Lecturer, University of Glasgow, School of Education
Dr Rob Daley (Advisory role) Academic Developer, Heriot-Watt University
Dr Kay Guccione (Advisory role) Mentoring and Coaching Consultant, University of Sheffield
Start and End Date
October 2018 to July 2019
Funder and Funding Amount
UK Council for International Student Affairs - £10,000
- Barry, K.M., Woods, M., Warnecke, E., Stirling, C. & Martin, A. (2018). Psychological health of doctoral candidates, study-related challenges and perceived performance. Higher Education Research & Development, 37(3), 468-483. DOI: doi.org/10.1080/07294360.2018.1425979.
- Elliot, D. L. and Kobayashi, S. (2019) How can PhD supervisors play a role in bridging academic cultures? Teaching in Higher Education, 24(8), pp. 911-929. (doi: 10.1080/13562517.2018.1517305)
- Elliot, D. L. , Reid, K. and Baumfield, V. (2016a) Beyond the amusement, puzzlement and challenges: an enquiry into international students’ academic acculturation. Studies in Higher Education, 41(12), pp. 2198-2217. (doi: 10.1080/03075079.2015.1029903)
- Elliot, D. , Baumfield, V. and Reid, K. (2016b) Searching for 'a third space’: a creative pathway towards international PhD students’ academic acculturation. Higher Education Research and Development, 35(6), pp. 1180-1195. (doi: 10.1080/07294360.2016.1144575)
- Elliot, D. L. , Baumfield, V., Reid, K. and Makara, K. A. (2016c) Hidden treasure: successful international doctoral students who found and harnessed the hidden curriculum. Oxford Review of Education, 42(6), pp. 733-748. (doi: 10.1080/03054985.2016.1229664)
- Evans, C. (2007). The experience of international doctoral education in nursing: An exploratory survey of staff and international nursing students in a British university. Nurse Education Today, 27(5), 499-505.
- HESA (2017). Where do HE students come from? Available at https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/students/where-from (accessed on 21/05/18)
- Holliday, A. (2017). PhD students, interculturality, reflexivity, community and internationalisation. Journal of Multilingual & Multicultural Development, 38(3), 206-218. doi.org/10.1080/01434632.2015.1134554.
- Levecque, K., Anseel, F., De Beuckelaer, A., Van der Heyden, J., & Gisle, L. (2017). Work organization and mental health problems in PhD students. Research Policy, 46, 868-879. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2017.02.008
- Metcalfe, J., Wilson, S., & Levecque, K. (2018). Exploring wellbeing and mental health and associated support services for postgraduate researchers.
- Odena, O., & Burgess, H. (2017). How doctoral students and graduates describe facilitating experiences and strategies for their thesis writing learning process: a qualitative approach. Studies in Higher Education, 42(3), 572-590. DOI: doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2015.1063598.
- Reavey, P., ed. (2011). Visual Methods in Psychology: Using and Interpreting Images in Qualitative Research. East Sussex: Psychology Press.
- Slight, C. (2017). Postgraduate Research Experience Survey Report 2017. National results available at https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/knowledge-hub/postgraduate-research-experience-survey-report-2017 (accessed on 10/04/18)