Building capacity of Vietnam schools to implement fundamental and comprehensive reforms: Designing and piloting interventions through professional development
Summary of project:
- To identify the training and development needs of school principals and teachers in order to implement reform/renovation policies in the 3 regions of Vietnam (North, Central and South)
- Using data from 1 above, design and implement appropriate programmes of tailored interventions for diverse school contexts in Vietnam
- Provide programme of knowledge exchange and skills training for ‘train the trainers’ professional development for project partners (including universities) core school leaders and teachers from pilot schools as an integral part of the intervention programmes
- Provide a programme of interventions in selected pilot schools using Research-Design-Development and action learning cycle to change and improve teaching and management/leadership practices
- Pilot and evaluate the programmes with a view to adapting and scaling them system-wide in a subsequent stage
The overall objective was with our Vietnamese partners (including the Government Research Branch, VNIES, and Vietnam National University, Hanoi, and SEAMEO, UoE HCMC and College of Education, Hue University) to substantially influence the trajectory of the implementation of Vietnam’s educational reform/renovation in pilot schools, and after evaluation, to develop a number of variant models of school improvement to scale-up across the system of Vietnam.
PI and Co-Is - International Collaborators
1. University of Education, Vietnam National University (Hanoi) (UoE VNU).
Prof. Nguyen Quy Thanh, Rector, University of Education, VNU.
Tel:0913069788 (cell phone); Email: email@example.com
2. Vietnam National Institute of Educational Sciences (VNIES)
3. Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization Regional Training Center in Vietnam (SEAMEO RETRAC)
Do Thi Hoai Thu, Ph.D. (Ms.), Dean, Division of Education, Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization, SEAMEO Regional Training Center (SEAMEO RETRAC), 35 Le Thanh Ton St., Dist. 1, HCMC, Vietnam
Tel.: (+84-8) 3824 5618 (Ext: 107) Fax: (+84-8) 3823 2175
4. University of Eduction, HCMC
Dr Hien Phan, Dean, Early Childhood Education, University of Education
280 An Duong Vuong Street, Ward 4, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Tel : 84-838 352020-173
5. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Tran Thi Tu Anh, Deputy Head,The Office of Science, Technology, and International Cooperation, College of Education, Hue University.
34 Le Loi St., Hue City, Vietnam.
Tel.: 84.54.3825004 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Truong Dinh Thang, PhD, Vice Rector, Quang Tri Teacher Training College
Start and End Date
April 2017- 31 October 2018
Funder and Funding Amount
Three funders –
ESRC-IAA – £27, 770
Head Foundation, Singapore - £60,000
British Council, Vietnam - £15,000
Dimmock, C. (2016). The cautionary tale of Vietnam’s ‘radical reform.’ Times Education Supplement, (24 June).
Dimmock, C. & Colleagues (2016). Capacity building through professional development and collaborative research to enable educational reform implementation in Vietnam. Report of Phase 1 of Research Project. Glasgow: University of Glasgow (Unpublished).
Associated Blogs or Twitter feeds
Supporting system change: Implementing school transformation in Vietnam. ROC- E-bulletin July 2016