Building capacity of Vietnam schools to implement fundamental and comprehensive reforms: Designing and piloting interventions through professional development
Summary of project:
- To identify the training and development needs of school principals and teachers in order to implement reform/renovation policies in the 3 regions of Vietnam (North, Central and South)
- Using data from 1 above, design and implement appropriate programmes of tailored interventions for diverse school contexts in Vietnam
- Provide programme of knowledge exchange and skills training for ‘train the trainers’ professional development for project partners (including universities) core school leaders and teachers from pilot schools as an integral part of the intervention programmes
- Provide a programme of interventions in selected pilot schools using Research-Design-Development and action learning cycle to change and improve teaching and management/leadership practices
- Pilot and evaluate the programmes with a view to adapting and scaling them system-wide in a subsequent stage
The overall objective was with our Vietnamese partners (including the Government Research Branch, VNIES, and Vietnam National University, Hanoi, and SEAMEO, UoE HCMC and College of Education, Hue University) to substantially influence the trajectory of the implementation of Vietnam’s educational reform/renovation in pilot schools, and after evaluation, to develop a number of variant models of school improvement to scale-up across the system of Vietnam.
PI and Co-Is - International Collaborators
University of Education, Vietnam National University, Hanoi;
Vietnam National Institute of Educational Sciences – Government Research Branch;
South-East Asian Ministers Education Organisation (SEAMEO) – Vietnam; University of Education, Ho Chi Minh City; College of Education, Hue University, Vietnam.
Start and End Date
3 April 2017 – 30 Sept. 2018
Funder and Funding Amount
The Head Foundation, Singapore. £60,000
The British Council (Higher Education Partnership Fund). £30,000
Dimmock, C. (2016). The cautionary tale of Vietnam’s ‘radical reform.’ Times Education Supplement, (24 June).