Mr Ka Pok Tam
- Graduate Teaching Assistant- Theology and Religious Studies (Theology & Religious Studies)
How to establish a Cultural Self—On Kierkegaard’s Philosophy of Culture and its Implication in East Asian Context
My dissertations aims to reconstruct Kierkegaard’s philosophy of culture so as to provide a new account of establishing cultural self and apply it in contemporary East Asian philosophy of culture, in particular Chinese New Confucianism and the Kyoto School in 19th and 20th centuries, which are heavily influenced by Hegel’s philosophy.
The research is deeply related to the contemporary East Asian politics where cultural modernisation and cultural subjectivity is still an on-going issue. I argue that Kierkegaard provides three criteria to evaluate East Asian philosophy of culture: the preservation of individual subjectivity within a community, the understanding of the relation between the past and the present, and the acknowledgement of culture as the manifestations of passions.
- RSA fund for EACS 2018 Glasgow conference 28 Aug to 1 Sep 2018
- 2016-now Macao Government Postgraduate Scholarship
- TRS1009 Religions in Asia
CONFERENCES, ELECTRONIC RESOURCES, EXHIBITIONS,
- 28 Aug to 1 Sep 2018 EACS 2018: 22nd Biennial Conference of the European Association of Chinese Studies Presenter ‘Tang Jung-yi and Chin Wan: Two Approaches to the Preservation of Traditional Chinese Culture in Hong Kong’
- 12-13 Oct 2017 Understanding and Misunderstanding between East Asia and the West: In Remembrance of 210th anniversary of Dr. Robert Morrison’s arrival of China, University of Glasgow Organiser and Presenter ‘On Lao Sze Kwang’s Misinterpretation of Kierkegaard’s Primary Philosophical Problem’
- 10-11 Nov 2016 Fifth Euroacademia Forum of Critical Studies—Asking Big Questions Again, Lucca, Italy Presenter ‘How to Differentiate Cultures from One Another?’
- Andrew Ka Pok Tam, 香港文化論 [A Discourse on Hong Kong Culture], (Hong Kong: Passion Times. 2016)
- Andrew Ka Pok Tam, ‘Lao Sze-Kwang’, Internet Encyclopaedia of Philosophy, 26 Aug 2018 https://www.iep.utm.edu/lao-s-k/