e-mail - email@example.com
Digital Identities: Technology and Selfhood in Jennifer Egan’s Fiction
My research investigates the relationship between technology and constructions of selfhood in contemporary American Fiction. Focusing on the author Jennifer Egan, my research seeks to analyse the methods Egan uses in her fiction to capture and critique this relationship. Egan has experimented extensively with the digital technologies available to 21st century writers, from using the digitisation of the music industry as the basis for her 2010 novel A Visit from the Goon Squad, to herself utilising social media in the distribution of 2012 text Black Box. As a result, her work goes further than mere documentation of the presence and status of such media and exists as precedent for the relationship between technology and contemporary fiction.
I am particularly interested in the changing nature and role of the human body as technologies take over basic physical and cognitive tasks, and in the rise of online profile culture where identity can exist without embodiment. Therefore, my work relies upon interdisciplinary theory such as cognitive and digital theory and ideas of posthumanism and embodiment.
I am using Egan as the focal point for my investigation but my thesis will also refer to her contemporaries in order to make connections and distinctions between their approaches, and in order to discuss and uplift the often overlooked female authors contributing to these literary depictions of identity and technology.
- 'An American Institution: the Commodification of Academia in Don DeLillo's White Noise'.
- Scottish Association for the Study of America (SASA) Annual Conference, 29th February 2020.
- Organising UofG Arts PG Conference 'AFTERLIVES: Pasts, Presents, and Futures of Arts and Cultures'
- 21st May 2020, Kelvin Hall (afterlivesconference2020.wordpress.com)
- 'The Digitisation of Bodies, Brains, and Books in Jennifer Egan's Black Box'.
- University of Glasgow English Literature Peer Symposium, 25th October 2019.
Comparative Literature 1A
Comparative Literature 1B
English Literature 1B