email - 2426904S@student.gla.ac.uk
My current PhD research investigates how young readers interpret J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. The purpose of this PhD research is to: (1) examine young reader’s perceptions and experience of reading The Lord of the Rings; and (2) evaluate the similarities and differences between children’s interpretations and the interpretations shown in Tolkien scholarship.
- “Éomer Gets Poetic: Tolkien’s Alliterative Versecraft,” Journal of Tolkien Research, vol. 5, no. 1, Article 6. https://scholar.valpo.edu/journaloftolkienresearch/vol5/iss1/6
Grants & Awards
- ETSU’s Allen Award for Outstanding Graduate Student, 2017
- Distinction in nineteenth century Russian Literature on graduate examination, 2017
- Distinction in eighteenth century British Literature on graduate examination, 2017
- ETSU Graduate Assistantship, 2015 and 2016
- Phi Kappa Phi, inducted March 2016
- Sigma Tau Delta, inducted November 2015
- “Tolkien’s Young Readers: Breaking Boundaries by Reading.” Baymoot, Oakland, CA, 2018.
- “Young Readers’ Receptions of Tolkien: An Interactive Session of Survey and Interview.” Mythcon 49, Atlanta, GA, 2018.
- “The Reception of Tolkien by Young Readers.” Mythmoot IV, Leesburg, VA, 2018.
- “Éomer Gets Poetic: Tolkien’s Alliterative Versecraft.” International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, 2018.
- “Tolkien’s Alliterative Revival.” Appalachian Pre-modernists, Johnson City, TN, 2018.
- “Grendel and the Celtic Feral Child Motif.” Southeastern Medieval Association, Charleston, SC, 2017.
- “Religion: A Gothic Institution with Anti-Gothic Tendencies.” Southern Appalachian Student Conference on Literature, Johnson City, TN, 2017.
- “I Want a Child: The Parallel Streams of Trauma in The Return of the Soldier.” Tennessee Philological Association Annual Conference, Johnson City, TN, 2017.
- “Impact of Modern Analysis on Beowulf via Celtic Folktales.” Appalachian Pre-modernists, Johnson City, TN, 2017.
- “Strange Women Lying in Ponds: Echoes of the Water-Hag Trope in The Lady of The Lake and Grendel's Mother.” Southeastern Medieval Association, Knoxville, TN, 2016.
- "Tolkien's Beowulf: A Translation and a Commentary as a Teaching Text." International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, 2016.
- "Crime and Anima: A Jungian Approach to Sófya in Dostoevsky's Psychological Novel."Southern Appalachian Student Conference on Literature, Johnson City, TN, 2016.
- "'Sle us both at ones er ye wende:' A Tripartite Psychoanalytical Approach to Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde." Tennessee Philological Association Annual Conference, Clarksville, TN, 2016.
- “Pippin Through the Eyes of a Reference Writer: Examining the Portrayal of a The Lord of the Rings Character Within Crowd-Sourced Reference Websites.” Methods of Research Graduate Student Conference for East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN, 2015.
East Tennessee State University
- English Literature Singe 1785 (2019)
Composition 1020 (2016-2019)
- Composition 1010 (2016-2017)
Northeast State Community College
- Composition 1010 (2017)
- Nineteenth-Century Gender Studies - 2015- Present, Assistant to the Technical Editor
- Vice-President and Social Media Officer,Tales After Tolkien Society
- Member, MERCSTAPA
- Member, Tolkien at Kalamazoo
- Founding Member, Appalachian Pre-modernists
- Member, The Tolkien Society
- Member, The Mythopoeic Society