About the positions
Who are we looking for?
All posts are available at Lecturer or Senior Lecturer/Reader (equivalent to Assistant or Associate Professor), subject to eligibility.
We welcome applications from exceptional individuals who are delivering the highest quality research that match our priority areas.
For Grade 7 or 8 (lecturer), we believe the following attributes are important:
|Research Excellence||An emerging track record of outstanding research and potential to deliver impact. Shows a strong awareness of the international context of the research and starting to show evidence of recognition in the community on an international scale.|
|Setting the research agenda||Evidence of showing influence within the research community and evidence of pushing the boundaries of your research area.|
|Strategic Vision||Has some experience in identifying, exploring and developing research opportunities. An awareness of how to position yourself to take up these opportunities and an ability to make decisions to deliver your vision.|
|Profile and Influence||Shows potential and aptitude to act as an ambassador and advocate for your research area.|
|Inspirational||Ability to lead and inspire your own research team. Has the ability to inspire undergraduate and postgraduate students.|
|Communication and engagement skills||Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills.|
|Teaching||Demonstrate a passion for educating undergraduate and postgraduate students using innovative methods of delivery and engagement.|
Please note that this is only a guide. A more detailed job description for each post can be found on the vacancies web site, including the criteria required for Grade 9 Senior Lecturer/Reader: www.gla.ac.uk/vacancies
Successful candidates will be provided with a comprehensive package of support to ensure that they can establish their academic activities quickly and effectively:
- through the University’s Early Career Development Programme (www.gla.ac.uk/services/humanresources/all/pay/ecdp/policy/), you will be assigned an experienced academic mentor and provided with support to develop your academic skills;
Appointees on open-ended research & teaching positions will also receive:
- an EPSRC DTA or ECR funded PhD scholarship will be guaranteed to those coming into their first academic job and allocated within two years of appointment, subject to available funds;
- £20k start-up package.
How to apply
Before applying, please take a moment to look at our priority areas and the attributes described above.
Applications should be made online at: www.gla.ac.uk/vacancies
Please search for the below reference numbers for specific vacancies:
- 040665 for Open Call in Formal Analysis, Theory and Algorithms (FATA) and GLAsgow Systems Section (GLASS)
- 037528 for L/SL/R in Glasgow Interactive Systems Team (GIST)
- 040668 for Lecturer in Data Science
- 040667 for L/SL/R in Data Science
- 040666 for L/SL/R in Cyber Security
- 040785 for Lecturer in Graduate Apprentice Degrees
You will also be required to upload your CV and a cover letter which must include:
(i) a point-by-point summary indicating how you meet the essential and desirable criteria listed in the job description;
(ii) a one-page research statement outlining your vision for research, together with a link to your Google scholar page, and, if appropriate, a one-page outline of an impact case study that could be developed;
(ii) a one-page teaching statement outlining what you think matters for teaching
For informal enquiries, please contact the person identified under each of the priority areas.