Systems Engineering Research Group
The Systems Engineering group investigates the tools, methods and practices for specifying, designing and analysing large scale complex software based systems.
Specialist areas include:
- Contingency planning for software security increasing the resilience of computational infrastructures to adverse events including cybersecurity threats, major bugs and blackouts.
- Software engineering for space based systems developing new architectures and design techniques for space related software, including human space flight and satellite based location services.
- Digital forensics Recovering evidence in new and emerging domains, and developing techniques to enhance the reliability of investigation management.
- Modelling and simulation of socio-technical systems Developing novel techniques for analysing and predicting the behaviour of complex, large scale systems.
- Data analytics in Software Engineering building novel tools for project communication and management.
- Requirements Engineering Identification, representation, as well as design-time and runtime verification of software requirements.
- Privacy preserving distributed software platforms Secured information-flows in software platforms for new generation technologies such as social networks, internet of things, cloud and mobile computing.
- Privacy in connected societies Investigation of techniques that address the impact of the privacy paradox in software. We specifically focus on methods that draws connections between the imprecisions in user privacy preferences and reasoning about the satisfaction of privacy requirements.
Our work is funded by a variety of sources, including EPSRC, Scottish Funding Council, EDF, Airbus, NASA, FAA, USAF and the UK Government.
Staff & Students
- Ms Maria Evangelopoulou
- Mr. Robbie Simpson
We are always looking for applications from students with backgrounds in Computing Science and/or Software Engineering. A typical applicant will have a first or upper-second class Honours degree. Experience of Systems Engineering in practice in industry is also an asset. Please contact a member of academic staff to discuss possible projects.