Dr Margaret Ritchie
- Associate Tutor (School of Education)
- Honorary Research Associate (School of Chemistry)
I have extensive experience in all areas of education including Initial Teacher Education (ITE).
Having taught Chemistry and Science in schools, I also wrote the new national qualifications in Chemistry for Scotland, and subsequently was responsible for the development of STEM and teacher Career Long Professional Learning (CLPL) across Highland Council, the largest local authority in Scotland, in my roles as Curriculum Development Officer for Science, Pedagogical Lead for Science and Primary Science Development Officer.
I managed a Science department in a secondary school and I have worked with Education Scotland on the national RAiSE programme, the Scottish Qualifications Authority (as a writer and marker for the new national courses) and the Royal Society of Chemistry as their Education Co-ordinator for Scotland, based at Edinburgh University. These roles have given me the opportunity to work with schools across Scotland. I have delivered training and workshops to student teachers across most of the ITE institutes in Scotland, CLPL workshops to probationer teachers, teachers and senior leadership teams at departmental meetings, school cluster twilight events, local authority in-service meetings, national events and international conferences.
With my background and experience in designing and leading research projects and having worked in industry and academia, I am able to bring together, consolidate and co-ordinate expertise in industry and academia to support teachers in a highly innovative and effective manner and create successful education programmes and networks.
Prior to working at the University of Glasgow, I was a lecturer in Education at the University of the West of Scotland. During the last 5 years, I have also worked in ITE for the University of Dundee and assisted the University of Highlands and Islands student teachers and led probationer teacher training.
Since 2018, I have spearheaded and organised the Summer STEM Academy events, an innovative science education programme that brings together student teachers, STEM-subject academics, industry and school pupils in and around Glasgow.
The programme provides student teachers and pupils with industry and science experience, increasing the opportunity for student and probationer teachers to become more familiar with how sciences are taught and developed in primary & secondary education; and enables schools and communities to gain a greater awareness of current research and career prospects in STEM subjects.
In 2020, the programme was moved online, providing free STEM and engineering education opportunities to schools in Scotland, across the UK and internationally.
Identifying biomarkers of phyto-estrogen intake and a validated data base to asses intake.
- Principal Investigator, Phase IV Clinical Trial ' Effects of Echinaforce®-Treatment on the Reactivity of ex vivo Stimulated Blood Cells'
- Principal Investigator, 'The relationship between Phyto-oestrogen exposure, tumour characteristics and tissue uptake in women with breast cancer'
- Principal Investigator, 'Comparison of the effects of fermented vs non-fermented isoflavones on immune function and steroid metabolism in vivo'
- Principal Investigator, 'Comparison of Plasma and Urine Concentrations of Phyto-oestrogens Following Dietary Isoflavone Supplementation'
- May 2019 - The STEM Academy-Promoting Partnerships through Collaboration, Creativity and Consistency RSC Large Outreach Grant, £5,8000
- September 2018 - Summer STEM Academy 2- Improving the 3Cs in STEM: Confidence, Co-creation and Continuity RSC Outreach Grant, £2,000
- June 2018 - Improving the 3Cs in STEM: Confidence, Co-creation and Continuity RSC Outreach Grant, £2,000
- June 2016 - Promoting Innovation and Enterprise in Life Science and Chemistry programmes across Scotland to support teacher CLPL and to inspire pupils in Chemistry and Life Sciences SDS Education Grant, £10,000
- May 2016 - Science at Work RSC Outreach Grant, £2,000
- May 2015 - Chemistry at Work RSC Outreach Grant, £2,000
- June 2014 - Promoting Innovation and Enterprise in Life Science event for Teacher CLPL and to inspire pupils in Chemistry and Life Sciences at BioCity Scotland SDS Education Grant, £10,000
- October 2013 - Chemistry at Work RSC Outreach Grant, £2,000
- STAR Award for Excellence in teaching and student support - student nominated- UWS
- Principal speaker - Scottish Government Holyrood STEM Conference, Edinburgh March 2020
- Keynote Speaker - UK Government Policy ‘The Future of Women in STEM’ Conference, London October 2019
- May 2016 - Awarded Certificate for Professional Recognition in Interdisciplinary Learning by the General Teaching Council for Scotland
- May 2012 - Received STEM Award for Scotland for most dedicated teacher in STEM in Scotland, presented at Scottish Parliament
- March 2012 – Chartered Science Teacher Award (due to impact on learning)
- 2011 - Recognised for Excellence in Practice in Education and Involving Students in Research, Education Scotland
- 2011 - Finalist for Top Education in STEM Award, UK
Recent academic experience
- 2019-present: Lecturer (Organic Chemistry), University of Glasgow
- 2019-present: Associate Tutor, School of Education, University of Glasgow
- 2019-present: Honorary Research Associate, School of Chemistry at the University of Glasgow
- 2019-present: STEM Teacher Co-ordinator for the Royal Academy of Engineering
- 2017-2019: Lecturer PGDE Secondary Science and Chemistry and BA Hons Primary Dissertation supervisor, UWS
- 2013-2017: Associate Lecturer PGDE Secondary Science and Chemistry and PGDE Primary Science, UWS
- 2016-17: Associate Tutor PGDE Secondary Chemistry, University of Dundee
- 2015-2017: Dissertation Assessor for level 10 and level 11 submissions in Education, University of Dundee
- 2010-2016: Chemistry lab supervisor, Edinburgh University and Dundee University
- 2013-2015: Royal Society of Chemistry Education Co-ordinator with Public Engagement, University of Edinburgh
- BSc. Hons Chemistry (1980)
- PhD, Medical School, University of St. Andrews
- PGDE with Merit, Chemistry / Science (1981)
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (1990)
- Registered Nutritionist (Nutritional Science) (2008)
- Chartered Science Teacher (CSciTeach) (2007)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (2010)
- Awarded CPD ‘Quality Mark’ Facilitator Accreditation by National STEM Learning Centre (2020)