Hailey is broadly interested the intersection between critical theory and visual art and literature from the First World War to the contemporary.
She considers themes of the sacred, sovereignty, violence and desire in avant-garde art and literature of 20th century Europe, in particular within Dada and Surrealism. Her present research arises out of a long-standing interest in Georges Bataille and his enduring influence and legacy within French critical thought.
Hailey obtained MA History of Art (Hons) (2013) and MLitt Art, Politics, Transgression: 20th Century Avant-Gardes (2014) both from the University of Glasgow.
In 2014 she was awarded the Andrew Millar Prize for History for her Masters dissertation 'Metaphor and Myth: Georges Bataille and André Masson 1929-1938'.
Hailey has written for various online and print publications such as Flash Art, The Modernist Review, 3:AM Magazine, Age of Revolutions, CABLE and the LSE Review of Books and appeared on the 2018 Zero Tolerance Write to End Violence Against Women awards shortlist. She is interested in bringing ideas and discussions to spaces outside the university.
She organised the postgraduate panel at Dada 1916-2016: A Century in Revolt 3rd November 2016, Centre for Contemporary Art Glasgow.
Hailey is a member of British Association of Modernist Studies (BAMS), the Society for French Studies and participates in the Dada & Surrealism Research Group led by Edinburgh College of Art.
‘Art of Atheology: the interwar collaborations of George Bataille.’
Art of Atheology: Geroges Bataille and his collaborators in the interwar period.
Hailey's thesis examines the experiments of Georges Bataille in the interwar period as instrumental in developing the atheology announced in his postwar La Somme athéologique.
She considers Bataille's mutli-modal practice throughout the 1920s and 30s as produced through collaboration with figures including Colette Peignot, Carl Einstein, André Masson and Pierre Klossowski.
Exquisite Corpses ALIENIST Magazine #5 (May 2019): RESISTANCE & EXPERIMENT
written as commentary on an ongoing project reviving and critiquing avant-garde paractices of making.
Exhibition Review: Charlemagne Palestine at M HKA Museum Contemporary Art / Antwerp Flash Art 9 April 2019
Book Review: A Modernist Fantasy: Modernism, Anarchism and the Radical Fantastic by James Gifford (ELS Editions 2018) The Modernist Review issue #6 March 2019
Conference Review: ‘Virus of Hate: Responses to Fascism in Psychoanalysis, Surrealism & Modernism’ The Modernist Review issue #5 'Beyond Literary Modernism' January 2019
“Glasgow International: Exploring Art’s Class Problem” Conter May 2018
“Midwestern Masculinity: Larry Clark in Tulsa” 3:AM Magazine December 2017
Exhibition review “Antony Connelly: If You’ve Got the Money” Cable Magazine Issue 5 November 2017
“Decaptiation in the “Low” Surrealist Revolution” Age of Revolutions January 2017
Book Review: “Moroccan Fashion: Design, Culture and Tradition. M. Angela Jansen. Bloomsbury. November 2014. ” LSE Review of Books May 2015
‘Surrealist Collaborative Play’ written as part of a Group Critical Writing Residency ed. Maria Fusco curated by Cooper Gallery at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design July 2014.
Theatre Review: 'Contemporary Legend Theatre Metamorphosis, Edinburgh International Festival'. GUM 2013
Scottish International Education Trust 2015-2018
Clark-Mile End Bursary 2016-17
Sutherland Page Trust 2016-17
Glasgow Educational and Marshall Trust 2015-16
Fran Trust Travel Grant June 2017, September 2018
College of Arts Research Support 2019
‘André Masson's Theopoetics’ History of Art Postgraduate Symposium 2nd May 2019 University of Glasgow / Kelvin Hall
- 'A Matter of Form : Georges Bataille and Carl Einstein in Collaboration' British Association of Modernist Studies, 'New Work in Modernist Studies 2018' 1st December 2018. School of Critical Studies, University of Glasgow.
- ‘Political Sovereignty and the Return to Order in the Avant Garde’ European Network for Avant-Garde and Modernist Studies (EAM) 6th International Conference 'Modernism(s) and Realism(s)' 5-7th September 2018 University of Münster
- "Florid Bullfights and the Stages of Laure" History of Art Postgraduate Symposium May 2018 University of Glasgow.
- '"Imagine a bullfight for you alone:" Surrealism and Laure's Sacred' Aggression, Transgression & the Avant-garde 6th June 2017, Edinburgh College of Art
- 'The Exquisite Corpse: the Social Body in Surrealist Play' Dada 1916-2016: A Century in Revolt 3rd November 2016, Centre for Contemporary Art Glasgow
- ‘Zurich Dada and Nationalism’ GRAMnet (Glasgow Refugee and Migrant Network) Research Open Day 2016, University of Glasgow
- ‘Surrealist Collaborative Play’ written as part of a Group Critical Writing Residency curated by Cooper Gallery at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design.
Paper was presented at 12-Hour Jamming Symposium Friday 25 July 2014, part of GENERATION: 25 Years of Contemporary Art in Scotland.
- Spring School: The Arts of Integrating Unesco Chair In Refugee Integration Through Languages and the Arts 9-11th May 2018 (attendee)
- SGSAH GRAMnet (Glasgow Refugee and Migrant Network) bibliotherapy training session 'Getting the Word Out' 10th June 2016 University of Edinburgh
Level 1 History of Art – Graduate Teaching Assistant
2017 Peer reviewer eSharp 'Rise and Fall' Spring issue
2013/2014 Editor-in-Chief GUM.
2011-2012 Arts Editor TLG Magazine.
Centre of Unsuccessful Submissions Coburg House Art Studios, Edinburgh 23-26 Feb 2018 (Senior Researcher)