Paris Between the Wars: Radical Art, Community and the Sacred
This present research arises out of a long-standing interest in Georges Bataille and his legacy on French critical thought.
MA History of Art (Hons) (2013) and MLitt Art, Politics, Transgression: 20th Century Avant-Gardes (2014)
Andrew Millar Prize for History for my postgraduate taught dissertation 'Metaphor and Myth: Georges Bataille and André Masson 1929-1938'
Scottish International Education Trust 2015-2018
Clark-Mile End Bursary 2016-17
Sutherland Page Trust 2016-17
Glasgow Educational and Marshall Trust 2015-16
Fran Trust Travel Grant June 2017
- Presenting European Network for Avant-Garde and Modernist Studies (EAM) 6th International Conference 'Modernism(s) and Realism(s)' at University of Münster September 2018 as part of the panel ‘Political Sovereignty and the Return to Order in the Avant Garde’
- '"Imagine a bullfight for you alone:" Surrealism and Laure's Sacred' Aggression, Transgression & the Avant-garde 6th June 2017, Edinburgh College of Art
- 'The Exquisite Corpse: the Social Body in Surrealist Play' Dada 1916-2016: A Century in Revolt 3rd November 2016, Centre for Contemporary Art Glasgow
Also co-organised the postgraduate panel at the conference.
- ‘Zurich Dada and Nationalism’ GRAMnet (Glasgow Refugee and Migrant Network) Research Open Day 2016, University of Glasgow
- ‘Surrealist Collaborative Play’ written as part of a Group Critical Writing Residency curated by Cooper Gallery at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design.
Paper was presented at 12-Hour Jamming Symposium Friday 25 July 2014, part of GENERATION: 25 Years of Contemporary Art in Scotland.
Participation by attendance
- Spring School: The Arts of Integrating Unesco Chair In Refugee Integration Through Languages and the Arts 9-11th May 2018 (attendee)
- SGSAH GRAMnet (Glasgow Refugee and Migrant Network) bibliotherapy training session 'Getting the Word Out' 10th June 2016 University of Edinburgh
Level 1 History of Art – Graduate Teaching Assistant
"Midwestern Masculinity: Larry Clark in Tulsa" 3:AM Magazine December 2017
Exhibition review "Antony Connelley: If You've Got the Money" Cable Magazine Issue 5 November 2017
"Learning from New Lanark" Conter October 2017
"Decaptiation in the "Low" Surrealist Revolution" Age of Revolutions January 2017
Journal and Book Reviewing
Peer-reviewer for eSharp issue 'Rise and Fall' Spring 2017
Contributor to LSE Review of Books
Centre of Unsuccessful Submissions Coburg House Art Studios, Edinburgh 23-26 Feb 2018 (Senior Researcher)
British Association of Modernist Studies (BAMS)
Dada & Surrealism Research Group led by Edinburgh College of Art
Society for French History