Dr Petros Varthalitis
- Affiliate (Economics)
Petros Varthalitis joined the University of Glasgow Adam Smith Business School in June 2015. He holds a PhD in Economics from the Athens University of Economics and Business and an MSc in Economics from University College London, University of London. Prior to joining the University of Glasgow, he was a Post-Doc Research Fellow at the Athens University of Economics and Business. Petros has been a visiting scholar of the Bank of Greece.
Areas of Expertise:
- Fiscal and Monetary policy in DSGE models (closed and open economy).
- Sovereign Debt consolidation strategies.
- Public Sector Reforms.
- Markov-Switching DSGE models.
- Research Grant from the European Social Fund and the Greek Ministry of Education for research on “Reform of the Public Sector”, 2014-2016. The research team also includes partners from the Athens University of Economics and Business (lead institution), Exeter University and the City University London (€348,000).
- Greek State Scholarship for visiting the University of Glasgow, funded by the Greek State Scholarship Foundation, 2014 (€10,000).
- PhD Research Scholarship “Irakleitus II” funding program by the Greek Ministry of Education and the European Union, 2010-2013 (€45,000).
- Research Grant from the Bank of Greece for working on New Keynesian DSGE models (joint with Apostolis Philippopoulos and Vanghelis Vassilatos), 2011.
- Visiting scholar at the Bank of Greece, 2011 (€3,600).
- Fiscal and Monetary Policy
- New Keynesian models
- DSGE modelling
- Markov Switching DSGE models.
Petros currently teaches:
- Economics 1A (Tutorials);
- Modelling and Forecasting Financial Markets (Labs);
- Economics (Lectures) at the Centre for Open Studies.
His teaching interests include:
- Computational Economics;
- International Macroeconomics and Finance;
- Economic Policy and Public Economics.
Petros has taught at undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD level.
- Fiscal consolidation in an open economy with sovereign premia, joint paper with A.Philippopoulos and V.Vassilatos. Revised and Resubmitted at the International Journal of Central Banking.
- Where to go from here? Breakdown of the eurozone, move to a fiscal union, or stick to the status quo?, joint with G.Economides and A.Philippopoulos, selected for the CESifo Workshop on ''Rethinking the Need for a Fiscal Union in the Eurozone'' and a special volume of the CESifo Economic Studies, 2015.
Work in progress
- “Optimal debt consolidation and its cross-country effects. Is there a conflict of interests?” joint paper with A.Philippopoulos and V.Vassilatos, 2014.
- "Public Debt Consolidation: A comparison of conventional and unconventional policies", joint paper with A.Philippopoulos, 2014.
- “Debt consolidation in the UK: Is it a good idea?” Joint paper with D.Papageorgiou and A.Philippopoulos, 2014.