Professor Essam Ibrahim
- Affiliate (Management)
telephone: 0141 330 8677
Professor Essam Ibrahim is a Full Professor of Marketing specialising in marketing strategy, international marketing and competitive behaviour modelling. He has about twenty five years of academic experience in higher education institutions in the UK and abroad. He served the University of Edinburgh Business School (UK) where he taught and researched marketing for more than 11 years (2007-2018). Before joining Edinburgh University, Dr Ibrahim had held many academic positions in the UK at Strathclyde University (2001-2007), Manchester Met University (1999-2001), Huddersfield University (1997-1999), and earlier at Cairo University (1991-1997). He completed his PhD in 2000 and the thesis examined ‘competitive marketing strategies in the UK Automobile Market’ and later won the First Prize of Best Doctoral Thesis at the 2000 Academy of Marketing Science Doctoral Dissertation Competition in USA. Prof Ibrahim’s research appeared in peer-reviewed journals such as EBR, IJEBR, MIP, JCB, IJBM and FSM; and in the proceedings of world-class conferences such as AMA, AMS, EMAC, BAM and ACR. He co-authored three marketing books; the most notable is the seminal text on Strategic Marketing: Creating Competitive Advantage with Douglass West and John Ford for Oxford University Press (in 3rd edition). Professor Ibrahim has a profound commitment to innovative teaching and learning and has been nominated several times by students as 'Best Lecturer' for his dedicated and enthusiastic approach to teaching. He has substantial leadership skills from the directorship of several UG, PGT and PGR Programmes and other managerial positions he undertaken in the past twenty years. He is a member of the editorial boards of three marketing journals and a Fellow Member of many professional and academic bodies in the UK and USA.
Professor Essam Ibrahim is an active researcher in the areas of marketing strategy and international marketing.
Areas of expertise:
- Marketing Strategy and Market Orientation
- International Marketing and Cross Cultural Studies
- Competitive Behaviour Modelling and Micro-econometric Models
- Marketing Auditing and Performance Evaluation
PhD and MSc supervision
Professor Essam Ibrahim has supervised more than 100 MSc dissertations and many PhD theses to successful completion.
He is interested in supervising PhD researchers in the broader areas of Marketing Strategy and International Marketing. He is particularly interested in such topics as segmentation, targeting and positioning and marketing strategy formulation. He is also interested in supervising topics in international marketing strategy especially the standardisation / adaptation of the 4Ps in cross-culture context.
Professor Essam Ibrahim has more than twenty five years of teaching experience in Higher Education institutions in the UK and abroad during which he contributed specialised teaching of marketing to UG, PG, MBA and Executive Programmes. Below is a sample of the courses he has delivered:
- International Marketing Strategy (MSc, MBA)
- Competitive Strategy Development and Practice (Executive MBA)
- Marketing Strategy (MSc, Honours)
- Market Research and Quantitative Research Methods (UG)
- Principles of Marketing / Marketing Management (UG)
Professor Essam Ibrahim has directed several teaching and research Programmes and undertaken many managerial positions as outlined below:
- Coordinator of PhD-Marketing Degree, Edinburgh University Business School (2012-2018)
- Director of Doctoral Programme, Edinburgh University Business School (2009-2011)
- Chair of Research Degree Committee & PG Board of studies, Edinburgh (2009-2011)
- Director of UG/Honour Programmes, Strathclyde’s Department of Marketing (2003- 2007)
- Coordinator of MSc Online Programme, Strathclyde’s Department of Marketing (2002-2004)
- Leader of the CIM PG-Diploma at MMU (2000-2001)
Below is a sample of other scholarly activities undertaken by Prof Ibrahim:
- Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Financial Services Marketing, International Journal of Marketing and Sales Education, and Marketing Intelligence and Planning.
- External Examiner at the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) for the Marketing Research and Information Module, and Strategic Marketing Module.
- Academic Reviewer for several refereed business journals e.g., Journal of Marketing Management, Marketing Theory, Journal of Customer Behaviour, International Journal of Bank Marketing, European Journal of Marketing and Journal of Marketing Channels.
- Academic Reviewer and Session Chair for world-class academic conferences e.g., EMAC, AMS, AM, BAM and SMA.