Viral genomics & bioinformatics
In May 2014, the MRC–University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research was designated an OIE Collaborating Centre for Viral Genomics and Bioinformatics by the OIE Regional Commission for Europe at the 82nd OIE General Session in Paris. OIE Collaborating Centres are centres of expertise in a defined specialty and they are expected to provide their expertise in this speciality internationally.
Our philosophy is to ensure that the capabilities in genomics and bioinformatics are fully integrated with expert understanding of specific viral systems. A central focus is the analysis of high-throughput sequence (HTS) data in order to address important questions relating to viral genomics, transcriptomics, diversity, evolution and transmission. These activities include the development of novel bioinformatic tools and the investigation of viral and host gene transcription during infection.
Viruses of current interest include hepatitis C virus, influenza viruses, human cytomegalovirus, human papillomaviruses, parainfluenza viruses, feline immunodeficiency virus and parvoviruses.
Major projects focus on discovering viruses involved in the emergence of novel diseases or associated with human pathologies, on investigating viral and host gene transcription during infection, and on understanding viral diversity and evolution within the host.
Key areas of expertise:
- HTS data assembly & analysis
- Analysis of intra-host sequence diversity
- Data set visualisation
- siRNA analysis
To find out more about the group, and to access their online platforms, visit:
- Ana Da Silva Filipe: NGS Facility Manager (Research Fellow)
- Danny Mair: Sequencing Technician
- Katherine Smollett: Research Associate
- Lily Tong: Research Support - Genomics
- Kyriaki Nomikou - Research Associate
- Nicole Anderson - Sequencing Technician
- Kirsty Kwok - Research Assistant
- David Robertson: Head of Bioinformatics
- Scott Arkison: Systems Administrator
- Robert Gifford: Senior Research Fellow
- Quan Gu: Research Bioinformatician
- Joseph Hughes: Research Bioinformatician
- Srikeerthana Kuchi: Bioinformatician/Computational Biologist
- Sejal Modha: Bioinformatician
- Richard Orton: Research Bioinformatician
- Sreenu Vattipally: Research Bioinformatician
- Josh Singer: Research Software Engineer