Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease
The group has extensive expertise in the analysis of routinely collected datasets. We collaborate closely with colleagues at the Information and Statistics Division (ISD) of NHS Scotland to analyse data from hospitalisations in Scotland. In conjunction with the Robertson Centre for Biostatistics we have developed expertise in using routinely collected hospitalisation data to follow up patients in clinical trials. We have also described the epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in primary care using routinely collected data and the Scottish Health Survey in conjunction with Dr Jim Lewsey in the Health Economics and Health Technology Assessment group. We also have experience in analysing prescribing data from linked datasets in conjunction with colleagues from the Practice Team Information section of ISD Scotland.
- Lowrie R, Mair FS, Greenlaw N, Forsyth P, Jhund PS, McConnachie A, Rae B, McMurray JJ; on behalf of the Heart Failure Optimal Outcomes from Pharmacy Study (HOOPS) Investigators.Pharmacist intervention in primary care to improve outcomes in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Eur Heart J. 2012 Feb;33(3):314-324.
- Langhorne P, Lewsey JD, Jhund PS, Gillies M, Chalmers JW, Redpath A, Briggs A, Walters M, Capewell S, McMurray JJ, MacIntyre K.Estimating the impact of stroke unit care in a whole population: an epidemiological study using routine data. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010 Dec;81(12):1301-5.
- Hawkins NM, Jhund PS, Simpson CR, Petrie MC, Macdonald MR, Dunn FG, Macintyre K, McMurray JJ.Primary care burden and treatment of patients with heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Scotland. Eur J Heart Fail. 2010 Jan;12(1):17-24.
- Lewsey JD, Jhund PS, Gillies M, Chalmers JW, Redpath A, Kelso L, Briggs A, Walters M, Langhorne P, Capewell S, McMurray JJ, MacIntyre K. Age- and sex-specific trends in fatal incidence and hospitalized incidence of stroke in Scotland, 1986 to 2005. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2009 Sep;2(5):475-83.
- Lewsey JD, Gillies M, Jhund PS, Chalmers JW, Redpath A, Briggs A, Walters M, Langhorne P, Capewell S, McMurray JJ, Macintyre K. Sex differences in incidence, mortality, and survival in individuals with stroke in Scotland, 1986 to 2005. Stroke. 2009 Apr;40(4):1038-43.
- Jhund PS, Macintyre K, Simpson CR, Lewsey JD, Stewart S, Redpath A, Chalmers JW, Capewell S, McMurray JJ. Long-term trends in first hospitalization for heart failure and subsequent survival between 1986 and 2003: a population study of 5.1 million people. Circulation. 2009 Feb 3;119(4):515-23.
- Murphy NF, Simpson CR, Jhund PS, Stewart S, Kirkpatrick M, Chalmers J, MacIntyre K, McMurray JJ. A national survey of the prevalence, incidence, primary care burden and treatment of atrial fibrillation in Scotland. Heart. 2007 May;93(5):606-12.
- Capewell S, Murphy NF, MacIntyre K, Frame S, Stewart S, Chalmers JW, Boyd J, Finlayson A, Redpath A, McMurray JJ. Short-term and long-term outcomes in 133,429 emergency patients admitted with angina or myocardial infarction in Scotland, 1990-2000: population-based cohort study. Heart. 2006 Nov;92(11):1563-70.
- Murphy NF, Simpson CR, MacIntyre K, McAlister FA, Chalmers J, McMurray JJ. Prevalence, incidence, primary care burden and medical treatment of angina in Scotland: age, sex and socioeconomic disparities: a population-based study. Heart. 2006 Aug;92(8):1047-54.
- MacIntyre K, Murphy NF, Chalmers J, Capewell S, Frame S, Finlayson A, Pell J, Redpath A, McMurray JJ. Hospital burden of suspected acute coronary syndromes: recent trends. Heart. 2006 May;92(5):691-2.
- Murphy NF, Simpson CR, McAlister FA, Stewart S, MacIntyre K, Kirkpatrick M, Chalmers J, Redpath A, Capewell S, McMurray JJ. National survey of the prevalence, incidence, primary care burden, and treatment of heart failure in Scotland. Heart. 2004 Oct;90(10):1129-36.
- Murphy NF, MacIntyre K, Capewell S, Stewart S, Pell J, Chalmers J, Redpath A, Frame S, Boyd J, McMurray JJ. Hospital discharge rates for suspected acute coronary syndromes between 1990 and 2000: population based analysis. BMJ. 2004 Jun 12;328(7453):1413-4.
- McAlister FA, Murphy NF, Simpson CR, Stewart S, MacIntyre K, Kirkpatrick M, Chalmers J, Redpath A, Capewell S, McMurray JJ.Influence of socioeconomic deprivation on the primary care burden and treatment of patients with a diagnosis of heart failure in general practice in Scotland: population based study. BMJ. 2004 May 8;328(7448):1110.
- Inglis SC, Lewsey JD, Lowe GD, Jhund P, Gillies M, Stewart S, Capewell S, Macintyre K, McMurray JJ. Angina and intermittent claudication in 7403 participants of the 2003 Scottish Health Survey: Impact on general and mental health, quality of life and five-year mortality. Int J Cardiol 2012 Jun 15 [Epub ahead of print].
- Martinez-Selles M, Doughty RN, Poppe K, Whalley GA, Earle N, Tribouilloy C, McMurray JJ, Swedberg K, Kober L, Berry C, Squire I; Meta-Analysis Global Group In Chronic Heart Failure (MAGGIC). Gender and survival in patients with heart failure: interactions with diabetes and aetiology. Results from the MAGGIC individual patient meta-analysis. Eur J Heart Fail 2012;14(5):473-9.
- Hawkins NM, Jhund PS, McMurray JJ, Capewell S. Heart failure and socioeconomic status: accumulating evidence of inequality. Eur J Heart Fail 2012;14(2):138-46.