Message From The Director
Welcome to the Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, in the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life science at the University of Glasgow.
- The Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences (ICAMS) is a research-intensive institute of basic and clinical scientists and clinicians.
- Mission: To enhance human health by exploring causes and mechanisms of cardiovascular disease and advancing and implementing discoveries leading to improved prevention, diagnosis and treatment..
- ICAMS is home to a British Heart Foundation Centre of Research Excellence that focuses on vascular science and biomedicine.
- Research is the prime activity of the Institute and forms the central core around which all our other activities, including teaching, training, clinical care and public outreach take place.
- ICAMS has on average 80 principal investigators annually focusing on research in three primary areas: Cardiac, Vascular and Metabolic pathophysiology. Research is conducted in an integrated and translational manner addressing diseases such as heart failure, ischaemic heart disease, arrhythmias, hypertension, atherosclerosis, diabetes, stroke and renovascular disease.
- ICAMS is home to over 200 students and trainees and is committed to excellence in graduate and postgraduate teaching and to training the future leaders in cardiovascular science and biomedicine.