Dr Tiago Zortea
- Research Assistant, Research Assistant (Mental Health & Wellbeing)
Dr Tiago Zortea is a postdoctoral researcher within the Suicidal Behaviour Research Laboratory (SBRL) currently working on different projects investigating the early and current determinats of vulnerability for suicidal thoughts and behaviours. He leads the organisation of the annual Suicide & Self-harm Early & Mid-Career Researcher's Forum in Glasgow and is a co-founder and member of the editorial team of netECR - The International Network of Early Career Researchers in Suicide and Self-harm. He also works as a co-chair of the Early Career Group of the International Association for Suicide Prevention.
Broad research interests include contextual determinants and psychological processes of suicide risk. Specific topics include: Vulnerability for suicidal thoughts and behaviours; attachment relationship crisis and coping mechanisms; brief intervention for suicidal crisis; evidence-based treatment for suicide risk; masculinity and suicide; theoretical models of suicidal behaviour; innovative methodological and analytical techniques to understand mental health issues and suicidal behaviour; public policies for suicide prevention; suicidal behaviour intervention applied to public health systems; history, philosophy, and anthropology of suicidal behaviour.
Alkiviadis Koskotas. MSc Psychological Studies, School of Psychology. Project title: "Exploring individuals’ lived experiences of nightmares and suicidal thoughts and behaviours". Supervision in collaboration with Dr Maria Gardani. Status: concluded.
Warren Mason III. MSc Global Mental Health, Institute of Health and Wellbeing. Project topic: Coping mechanisms and self-harm. Status: in progress.
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2016-2017: Jean Thomson Memorial Prize (Institute of Health & Wellbeing)
- 2019 - 2020: NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde Research Endowment Fund.
Professional & learned societies
- 2019: Co-chair, Early Career Group, International Association for Suicide Prevention
- 2017: Co-founder; Member of the editorial team, netECR - International Network of Early Career Researchers in Suicide and Self-harm
Selected international presentations
- 2019: 30th World Congress of the International Association for Suicide Prevention (Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland)
- 2018: 17th European Symposium on Suicide & Suicidal Behaviour (Ghent, Belgium)
- 2017: International Summit on Suicide Research (Las Vegas, Nevada, USA)
- 2016: 16th European Symposium on Suicide & Suicidal Behaviour (Oviedo, Spain)