Research is at the core of our mission - accounting for close to 40% of our income. In order to build the University’s global standing as a world-class research-intensive university and attract the most talented researchers - particularly in this era of increasingly competitive academic environments - it is essential that we offer world-class research management support to all staff so as to develop and encourage ambitious early career researchers and high-achieving academics.
The Research Management Office - part of the College Research Support Office - provides expert advice and specialist support across the research project lifecycle including strategically important large-scale initiatives. The office has two primary functions: 1) to work in partnership with academic staff and researchers to deliver a dedicated end-to-end support service from the proposal stage through to final reporting, ensuring high-quality submissions and effective management of awards, and 2) to drive the development, implementation and delivery of research-led ‘value-added’ activities - in consultation with Institute management - thereby helping to inform future research management and maximise opportunities for research income generation.
Specialist pre- and post-award research management advice and support
- Coordinating application planning and development
- Costing support
- Specialist advice and guidance on funder Terms & Conditions
- Developing and maintaining strategic relationships with key funders to share knowledge and provide expert advice
- Liaising with partners / collaborators
- Post-award reporting and financial administration
High-level support for strategically significant / large-scale initiatives
- Project management for application phase
- Technical writing support (proportionate to scale and complexity of project)
- Post-award support for large-scale initiatives
Strategy support and implementation
- Identification and targeted promotion of funding opportunities
- Coordinating internal peer-review
- Supporting mentoring
- Facilitating interdisciplinary interactions
Income generation support
- Growth and diversification of research income portfolio through enhanced support for application development
- Coordinated support for the development of optimally costed applications
- Dedicated post-award support to improve the financial management of awards
Details of funding opportunities for grants, investigator awards and fellowships are outlined in the Institute funding bulletin.
Please contact your Project Coordinator if you wish to apply for any of the opportunities outlined in the funding bulletin.