"At the unit, you are always exposed to new ideas and ways of thinking about research." Ian MacNeill
We are proud of our track record of supporting and encouraging researchers beginning their careers. Every year, we look for a small number of talented and motivated individuals to join our team through fully-funded PhD studentships. These are advertised in January, with interviews in April.
Please note the closing date for applications is 24th February 2020, and interviews will be held on 21st and 23rd April 2020.
MRC funded studentship eligibility
- UK national and UK resident applicants – full funding is available, for University fees and a stipend. Includes a training allowance.
- Other European Economic Area (EEA) applicants – partial funding is available, covering University fees only.
- International applicants – not eligible to apply.
- Full eligibility criteria is available on the UKRI Medical Research Council website.
How to apply
View studentship opportunities for our research programmes by visiting our website.
Candidates are required to prepare a two A4 page research proposal. Please contact the supervisor of your proposed topic to discuss your proposal prior to submission.
Apply through Postgraduate Admissions. Please ensure you apply to MVLS - MRC/CSO PhD Studentship.
The full set of supporting documents noted below are required to be uploaded at the point of application:
- Degree certificate (if you have graduated prior to 1 July 2015)
- Two A4 page research proposal (This should have been discussed with the Programme Leader/supervisor prior to submission).
- Reference 1 (a full reference should be submitted from an academic who has a knowledge of your academic ability from your most recent study/programme)
- Reference 2 (a full reference should be submitted from an academic who has a knowledge of your academic ability)
Once you have submitted your application, please email email@example.com to confirm. General enquiries regarding the application process can also be directed to this email address.