This PhD Life
What is This PhD Life?
Starting a PhD? Looking for insider knowledge on what the PhD experience is really like? How to find a healthy work/life balance? What is it like to do a part-time PhD? How to manage your methodology? How to build an academic profile online? How to have a happy relationship with your supervisor?
This one-day symposium is for you! This PhD Life is held twice every year (in October and January) and consists of a series of short talks from current PGRs and ECRs. Our speakers will share their experiences and top tips, interspersed with panel Q and A sessions throughout the day.
Follow our hashtag on social media #ThisUofGPhDLife
Recordings from our previous symposia are available on our Researcher Development Programme Moodle site.
This PhD Life October 2021
You can now register for This PhD Life October 2021 via this Eventbrite page.
Call for Papers
What insider knowledge do you wish someone had told you at the start of your PhD? How to make the most of conferences? How to navigate your literature review? What it’s like to teach for the first time? How to deal with changes in your project? How to have a happy relationship with your supervisor?
We'd like to invite current doctoral and early career researchers to share their experiences with our new first years at This PhD Life, now in it's second year! This would be a great opportunity to reflect on how far you’ve come, to try out presenting online, and to make a real difference to the experience of new PhD students.
We’re looking for talks of around 10-15 minutes. We want to know what worked, what didn’t work, what you learned, and how that can benefit new researchers. We also welcome alternative formats, such as slideshows, digital posters, short videos, or infographics. For example, you might talk about:
- How to manage your workload
- How to manage your supervisor
- How to be a good lab partner
- Balancing research and employment
- What it’s like to be a GTA
- How to manage working from home
- Dealing with unexpected changes to the direction of your research
- What it’s like to do a PhD part-time
- Being an international PGR
- Adapting methodology to changing situations
- What does a PhD actually look like?
- Rediscovering the library as a researcher
- Becoming a writer
- How to have an academic online presence
- Coming up with a chapter plan
- Managing your wellbeing
- Experiences in fieldwork
- Managing a self-funded PhD
- A practice-based PGR experience
- Balancing a PhD with caring responsibilities
- Making research connections
- How to do your viva online
If there’s anything important you think we’ve missed, we’d love to hear about that too.
Send us a title and a short blurb about what you'd like to talk about via this form before 27th September.