- Professor of Glaciology - Univ. of Edinburgh, School of GeoSciences
- Glacier and ice sheet response to climate change.
- Particular expertise in glacier hydrology, ice dynamics, ice-sheet ocean interactions and impact of climate change on these systems.
- Focus on the Greenland Ice Sheet but also the Alps, Andean and Himalayan glaciers.
- Research using fieldwork, remote sensing and modelling including the calibration/validation of the European Space Agency's CryoSat-2 radar altimeter satellite.