- Professor of Development Anthropology - Natural Resources Institute, University of Greenwich
- The impacts of climate change on the rural poor, their perceptions of climate change, their vulnerabilities, and their opportunities for adaptation.
- Impacts of climate change on pastoralism and other livestock-based livelihoods, with recognition of the complex arguments around livestock-related greenhouse gas emissions.
- Climate change in relation to sustainable development on drylands, including drought management.
- The use of indigenous knowledge in climate change research and climate adaptation
- The incorporation of climate change concerns into the policies and practices of agricultural research and extension services.
- Governance of adaptation, particularly in drylands.
- The interactions of climate change, land tenure and land policy.