- Professor in Sustainable Transitions and Political Economy - Lancaster Environment Centre, Lancaster University
- Expedited deep decarbonization of urban mobility (systems) and cities
- Political economic, cultural, geopolitical and governmental aspects of sustainable transitions
- Low carbon transition in China and with Chinese influence globally: "Ecological civilisation"
- Learning for sustainability (collective, participatory, organizational, insitutional and societal)
- Digitalization (industry, agriculture, consumption/services, education) and sustainability