- Professor; Director, the BP Institute - Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge
- Carbon Capture and Storage, including wells, geological reservoirs, injection strategies, storage efficiency, disposing of brine displaced by CO2 injected into a saline aquifer.
- Low energy building design - including natural ventilation and hybrid ventilation systems to reduce energy demand in commercial and other buildings. Air quality in buildings, infection dispersal.
- Geothermal Energy production - including novel approaches for recovery of heat from subsurface formations for both heat and power.
- Multiphase gravity currents and plumes; environmental flows and dispersion; bubble and particle laden flows and mixing.
- Natural hazards including volcanic eruption processes