- Senior Lecturer - University of Sunderland
I am a member of the Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies at the University of Sunderland, with a full submission to REF2021 in UoA 27. Our research has been identified as 65% world or international leading (4* or 3*). My most recent funded project was as co-I on an AHRC Connected Communities project working with colleagues from Newcastle, Sheffield and Bristol: (R)agency? The lived practices of anger. I am a member of the Vegan Society's Research Advisory Committee and engaged in policy impact work around food systems, climate emergencies and effective narratives for food system change.
- Climate change and food;
- Climate narratives and effective messaging, especially around food;
- Critical animal studies; animal rights, suffering and injustice within the climate crisis;
- "Climate emotions" / "Green Feelings" in culture and society;
- Writing production processes, especially environmental narratives and stories;
- Environmental journalism practice and principles.
Current research work:
- Food policy, food systems and climate change;
- Exploring relations between animals, identity and affect within the climate emergency;
- Supporting unheard and previously marginalised voices within the climate emergency;
- Veganism, vegan practices ;
- Ongoing interest in the processes of writing, especially in relation to animals.