Annette Kuhn Essay Award
Annette Kuhn Essay Award
The Annette Kuhn Essay Award was established in 2014, in recognition of Professor Kuhn’s outstanding contribution to Screen and her wider commitment to the development of screen studies and screen theory.
The award offers £1,000 to the author of the best debut article in film and television studies, as judged by the Screen editors and members of the journal’s editorial advisory board.
The submitted essay should provide an original contribution to the theoretical or empirical exploration of screen media, but there are no requirements in terms of specific content or methodological approach. The criteria for entry are as follows:
- It is the debut single-authored journal essay by the scholar
- It has been or is due to be published in a refereed journal
- The date of first publication falls between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2017 (this may be an online publication date, in advance of a print issue)
- It is written in English
We will still consider your debut article under the following circumstances, although we request you flag these up on the submission form.
- You have previously published a different essay as a book chapter
- You have previously published a different essay in a journal under special circumstances (such as an undergraduate essay prize where you did not compete in an open, blind peer-reviewed forum)
- You have previously published a conference report, book review or similar short piece in a peer-reviewed journal
- You have previously published no more than one co-authored essay in a peer-reviewed journal
- You previously published this essay in another language, but both the initial publication and the English-language publication fall within the relevant calendar year
Please contact Screen if you are unsure whether your article is eligible for submission.
2017/8 Submission Instructions
The competition is now open. The submission deadline is midnight on Friday 26 January, 2018. All entrants will be notified of the panel's decision on their manuscript by end April 2018, and the winner invited to attend the Screen conference reception on Friday, 29 June, 2018 to collect their prize.
Please complete the submission form then save with your surname as the filename. Send an email subject header “Essay Prize Submission” to email@example.com, attaching the submission form and a pdf of your article in its final version. The final version means, the typeset article with line numbers if it appeared in print; or the published copy downloaded from the website, if the article is only available online at the time of submission.
The winner/s will be informed at the end of April 2018.